Just installed win7 to find out wloc not compatable now What RRS feed

• Question

• Here I go again jus put win 7 rc on my system to find out the hard way Onecare not compatable now I got this not so free AVG on my system and no Marro or what every it was suppose to be out in beta by now in sight so someone better fix this I need something to protect my system longer than a 30 day trial of avg here. 

I also wanna know where in the world is the Marro project discussed in a onecare press release 
    Posted By Mikro
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:38 PM

Answers

• If I had to guess, I'd suspect that Morro would be planned for release with Windows 7 final.  Since we don't know exactly when this will occur, we can only speculate that some form of short public beta will occur in the month(s) just before Windows 7 releases.

Since the current guesses in the media for final release of Windows 7 vary anywhere in the last half of this year, that's still on track with what was expected for Morro in the original notices.

It's also likely that when Morro is released it will support Windows XP (SP2 or maybe 3?), Vista (SP1 or 2?), and Windows 7.  Since Windows 7 RC is nearly the final code, it's now possible to make the final adjustments to Morro that should work at release.  Since this wasn't possible using beta code, it's not surprising we haven't seen a beta yet, simply too much shifting sand to release anything.

Since Windows XP SP3 has released, Vista SP2 is on limited (TechNet/MSDN) release and Windows 7 RC is out, it seems reasonable to expect we'll see something relatively soon, though probably only in beta form for a while.  Remember that OneCare subscriptions are still available through next year for the older platforms and Morro will only be anti-malware, so basically not much different than Windows Defender from an operational standpoint, so testing should go quickly.

Also, since Morro will be free, there's no need for any significant marketing beyond what exists for something like Defender, so no requirements for a 'box' or other manual delivery systems.  This means it's probable that only Internet delivery methods will be used, so the overhead and delay for a final release should be relatively short, so the beta could run right up to a few days before the Windows 7 final release.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Mikro Monday, May 18, 2009 10:31 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Morro is not due until the second half of the year, so it is not late. If there is going to be a Morro beta I wouldn't expect to see it until then. When your AVG trial expires you can trial NOD32, Kaspersky, or several other products in succession, which may get you closer to the Morro release.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:25 PM

All replies

• Morro is not due until the second half of the year, so it is not late. If there is going to be a Morro beta I wouldn't expect to see it until then. When your AVG trial expires you can trial NOD32, Kaspersky, or several other products in succession, which may get you closer to the Morro release.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:25 PM
  • I used avast on 7 beta woked fine. However on 7rc it kept taking out my Dell Dock (for desktop icons), and my adobe reader at startup. So I put in Avira free antivirus and now they're fine. I do miss wloc it's the one antivirus program that always worked fine for me,didn't slow down the computer like norton and I used norton for many years because I found it to be better than anything else until onecare.

Larry
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:04 AM
  • I had a thought update onecare to work on windows 7 till marro is ready
    Posted By Mikro
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:39 PM
  • One Care will not be updated to include W7 support. When W7 is released One Care will not be available for purchase so there isn't really any reason to include W7 support.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:44 PM
  • If I had to guess, I'd suspect that Morro would be planned for release with Windows 7 final.  Since we don't know exactly when this will occur, we can only speculate that some form of short public beta will occur in the month(s) just before Windows 7 releases.

Since the current guesses in the media for final release of Windows 7 vary anywhere in the last half of this year, that's still on track with what was expected for Morro in the original notices.

It's also likely that when Morro is released it will support Windows XP (SP2 or maybe 3?), Vista (SP1 or 2?), and Windows 7.  Since Windows 7 RC is nearly the final code, it's now possible to make the final adjustments to Morro that should work at release.  Since this wasn't possible using beta code, it's not surprising we haven't seen a beta yet, simply too much shifting sand to release anything.

Since Windows XP SP3 has released, Vista SP2 is on limited (TechNet/MSDN) release and Windows 7 RC is out, it seems reasonable to expect we'll see something relatively soon, though probably only in beta form for a while.  Remember that OneCare subscriptions are still available through next year for the older platforms and Morro will only be anti-malware, so basically not much different than Windows Defender from an operational standpoint, so testing should go quickly.

Also, since Morro will be free, there's no need for any significant marketing beyond what exists for something like Defender, so no requirements for a 'box' or other manual delivery systems.  This means it's probable that only Internet delivery methods will be used, so the overhead and delay for a final release should be relatively short, so the beta could run right up to a few days before the Windows 7 final release.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Mikro Monday, May 18, 2009 10:31 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:47 PM