none
Left-side of message area off-screen in EW&SP forum RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a problem elsewhere as well, but I've not seen it elsewhere. On some threads, such as this one

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7d8cdc1c-4433-4d0b-b0d8-a1a28f799694

when a thread is clicked and navigated to, at the very beginning of the page opening the entire message area width appears, then about the leftmost quarter to a third moves off the left side of the screen so as to be unreadable. The horizontal scroll bar is of no use, as it is hard up against the left side as well.

This only happens occasionally, perhaps one in twenty or so posts, but, of course, when it does it renders the posts unreadable. With what I can actually see of the posts I can't determine what, if anything, might be different about them to cause this issue.

My platform is Vista Ultimate, NVidia video and latest native (i.e. not Windows Update) drivers, and it occurs the same across all browsers I have checked (so far that would be IE8, IE7 Compat Mode, IE6 in a VPC, Safari, and FF3). Oddly, in IE6, the horizontal scrollbar appears but does nothing. Neither clicking in the scrollbar outside the thumb nor trying to drag the thumb with the mouse have any effect. The other browsers' scroll bars do work, although to no practical effect, of course, since you can only move the scrollbar to the right, which moves the display even further left and out of view. Oh, and I am not the only one to have experienced this.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

• It's fixed now. Background. We have a client app (currently in Beta) that allow news reader clients to post replies and new threads to Forums (called NNTP Bridge Client). This is currently open to MVP's and MSFT employees. The issue is that some NNTP Clients adds HTML meta data as part of the post/thread content. This is what breaks the UI.

We have a bug on this and currently investigating. This issue is part of bigger fix that we're looking into such that certain HTML tags break UI rendering.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:56 PM
  •  I just wanted to give you a heads up that if you thought it was fixed, well, it isn't.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Hi Scott,

It's fixed again. Appartently Ron (MVP) is using an NNTP Client that's sending HTML tags as part of the message which causes the rendering issue. Also note that this issue depends on which NNTP client is being used.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:36 AM
  • I think and hope I just fixed this. Could be don fixed the root post but not the reply.
    Community Forums Program Managers
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

We're in the process of looping folks who currently use the NNTP bridge to avoid using clients that uses HTML to posts through their clients. We also have a fix in place to strip certain html tags that causes rendering issues.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:49 PM

All replies

• Confirmed in FF, and IE6. IE6 is pretty bad. Changing "expression" to "msdn" does not help.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:42 PM
  • I can fix this problem. :). I'll inform everyone once this is fixed.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:02 PM
  • It's fixed now. Background. We have a client app (currently in Beta) that allow news reader clients to post replies and new threads to Forums (called NNTP Bridge Client). This is currently open to MVP's and MSFT employees. The issue is that some NNTP Clients adds HTML meta data as part of the post/thread content. This is what breaks the UI.

We have a bug on this and currently investigating. This issue is part of bigger fix that we're looking into such that certain HTML tags break UI rendering.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Thanx for the explanation.

I hope that NNTP bridge becomes available for general use. I am uually more comfortable with that sort of reader.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I hope that NNTP bridge becomes available for general use. I am uually more comfortable with that sort of reader.

We'll open it to the public once certain features have been thought out and off course critical bugs have been fixed :)
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Excellent.

If you are looking for another beta tester though.... :)
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:22 PM

STO Forums Test Lead
    Umm, well, it's unfixed again, it seems. Check this thread, please http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/ad28f22c-0071-4f2c-bc19-86eea210a4ca. I understand that it is already bugged and you're working on it. I just wanted to give you a heads up that if you thought it was fixed, well, it isn't.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:30 PM
  •  I just wanted to give you a heads up that if you thought it was fixed, well, it isn't.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Hi Scott,

It's fixed again. Appartently Ron (MVP) is using an NNTP Client that's sending HTML tags as part of the message which causes the rendering issue. Also note that this issue depends on which NNTP client is being used.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Don:

Does this mean the web services for these forums have been scrapped?  Will the NNTP bridge have extensions to the NNTP protocol to allow access to web-specific features such as "propose as answer", etc?  Will a person's existing Live ID credentials be accepted as part of the standard NNTP login sequence?

If you're interested in any third-party vendor testing, I'd be happy to participate in the beta.  If this isn't the appropriate place to discuss these issues, please feel free to contact me offline if you like.
    Don Caton - Shoreline Software
    NewsHound - Offline Reader for Newsgroups and Microsoft Forums
    Monday, August 3, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Will the NNTP bridge have extensions to the NNTP protocol to allow access to web-specific features such as "propose as answer", etc?  Will a person's existing Live ID credentials be accepted as part of the standard NNTP login sequence?

NNTP Bridge supports basic functionaly extended from the NNTP protocol. This includes new thread and replies to a thread. We currently don't support other features such as propose as answer, mark as answer, etc...

Here's a proview: (Only the web service)

http://services.social.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc

Thanks for the offer, as we get closer to finalyzing plans of the NNTP bridge being open to the public, we'll probably have a CTP or beta environment for evaluation and feedback. No timeline when this will occur but I'll post something back.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, August 3, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Don:

I'm a bit confused.  Will these forums be accessible via web services in addition to the NNTP bridge?  Are these web services live and if so, do they deliver up to date information or are they still experimental?

I'm currently using the RSS feeds to get most of the information I need.  Not optimal but it works pretty well, the only missing piece of info is the guid of the message to which the current message is in reply to. Is there any chance the "in reply to" guid could be added to the RSS feed in the near term?

Thanks.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Don:

I'm a bit confused.  Will these forums be accessible via web services in addition to the NNTP bridge?  Are these web services live and if so, do they deliver up to date information or are they still experimental?

Sorry. These Forums are not accessible via the web service. The NNTP bridge is a client app that utilizes the Forums web service  to bridge/translate NNTP protocol. I've reference the web service as an FYI just to see the methods used by the NNTP Bridge client.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, August 3, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Regarding RSS, currently not supported if your viewing from a Forum (List of threads).

However, we do have another switch in the URL you can use to look at the XML data of the Forum View. It doesn't conform to atom (rss) however I think this is the data what you need. The drawback it's raw xml and you'll need to have a different client or custom app to disect the data.

Here it is:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads?outputAs=xml
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, August 3, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Yes, this is exactly what I need, thanks very much!  Is this supported, or at least is the format stable or is it subject to change?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:00 PM
  • The format is stable for use. We don't have plans to change the output format since we have other folks/team dependent on this output format. 

Thanks.  
    STO Forums Test Lead
    • Edited by Don Tan Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:16 PM

cheers,
    scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    No, it is not. It is STILL BROKEN! Go here http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/2a1b6658-f806-4fc9-b8aa-70b984538e00, posted less than two hours ago, and you will see that the interface is off the left side of the screen, and you cannot even access the bloody Reply button. While I applaud the effort to provide newsreader access, until the bloody system is working for all clients, kindly keep it in beta or limited access so that we who actually use, and try to provide user-to-user support in, the forums do not have to deal with it. Thank you.

cheers,
    scott
    "If Sarah Palin looked like Golda Meir, would we even be talking about her today?" -- GOP strategist Mike Murphy
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Yup. I've fixed it again. I will notify our community program managers of the issue.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Yup. I've fixed it again. I will notify our community program managers of the issue.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Sigh... No, Don, you haven't fixed it. I don't know what you think you have fixed, but whatever it is, it is not this problem. Please see

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/b8325126-93e3-445c-81c0-d5c23eb9d435

posted less than half an hour ago. This issue renders the thread completely unreadable, and as of the entry of the post that causes it, effectively terminates the thread, since thenceforth the Reply and Quote buttons are inaccessible, and all that can be reached is Propose as Answer and Report as Abuse.

I should note that, once again, as in the previous case, the thread above was terminated by _Ronx, MVP, apparently posting via NNTP. If you cannot fix the problems with this access method, and it's fairly damned self-evident that you cannot, and if you refuse to pull the capability until it is actually working, which appears to be the case, will you at least try to persuade _Ronx NOT to use whatever NNTP client he is using to hose these threads, or to just use the bloody bedamned forum interface like the rest of us have to!

cheers,
    scott
    "If Sarah Palin looked like Golda Meir, would we even be talking about her today?" -- GOP strategist Mike Murphy
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:25 PM
  • I think and hope I just fixed this. Could be don fixed the root post but not the reply.
    Community Forums Program Managers
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:42 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, fine. The thread is fixed. This thread. This time. Are we to infer that we're going have to come here every bloody time this happens, on an individual basis, to get these things corrected?! Will you not at least consider disabling this functionality until it actually works without screwing threads up? Failing that, will you not at least inform users like Ron Symonds who are observed to cause the problem in multiple instances to bloody quit it, now!? Tell him to switch NNTP clients. Tell him he can't play in this sandbox any more. Tell him whatever you want to, but stop him from posting to forum threads in a fashion known to consistently hose them, OK?

cheers,
    scott
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

We're in the process of looping folks who currently use the NNTP bridge to avoid using clients that uses HTML to posts through their clients. We also have a fix in place to strip certain html tags that causes rendering issues.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:49 PM