Software license service (slsvc) won't run RRS feed

• Question

• I know that there are other questions out there that are very similar to mine (I've actually posted a question in 'Install, Upgrade and Activate' but I think that is the wrong place for the post). I've looked through them and tried the suggestions from Stephen and Darin but they don't solve my problem. I also read the post titled "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems" but item 'D' does not match my problem (A, B & C do but I get a system error 2 [file not found] rather than 3).

This all started after running a registry cleaner to remove some entries after I deleted a number of programs and directories. After that, I started getting the errors like no control panel (comes up blank or just goes away), software license service no longer runs and validation errors. For instance, if I run a DOS command window as the administrator and try to start the service, I get the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>net start slsvc
    System error 2 has occurred.

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Windows\system32>

I tried turning off the read-only attribute in the system32 directory and that had no effect. From what I've found on the web, it looks like I will have to reinstall Vista to make everything work. Of course, I bought this PC at BestBuy and they didn't give me the Vista install disks (thanks HP) so that is going to be difficult.

Hopefully, this is the correct forum for this problem. Here's the output of the MS diagnostic tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=
    Windows Product ID: 89583-OEM-7332157-00061
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {2EE107BE-C004-4237-AC91-4E490C947D5B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2EE107BE-C004-4237-AC91-4E490C947D5B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WQD8Q</PKey><PID>89583-OEM-7332157-00061</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-342609163-3139870115-61042858</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP-Pavilion</Manufacturer><Model>KQ497AA-ABA m9340f</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>5.23   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080421000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E1333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-CPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MgAAAAEAAAABAAEAAgABAAAABAABAAEAonZSZbhWvDqw9OJs8vQIysFn/FSiwqxWzDE=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      FACP            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      HPET            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      MCFG            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      OEMB            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      GSCI            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      SLIC            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC
      SSDT            HPQOEM        SLIC-CPC

When I run the online validation tool, I get the same error ([0x80070426]).

Since it seems like changes to the registry got me into this mess, is there anything in the registry that I can change to fix the problem? For instance, this key refers to the software license service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slsvc

Are there changes I can make to the keys in that area that can help to resolve this problem?

Friday, March 20, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi davelw,

No, that solution, you found, will not work. It will just recreate Vista's Licencing Store which will have, unfortunately, no effect on the Software Licensing Service.

As for your Registry, it looks ok. But I still think you should try running the 'System Error 3' fix. If it doesn't fix the issue, it shouldn't do anything bad (and even if it does, you have the RegBackup file that will reset your registry back again). 

Give the error message "The system cannot find the file specified." and since Slsvc.exe is the file specified, it suggests only 2 possibilities, either the path to the file is wrong or the file isn't where it's supposed to be.  Since the ImagePath, in your regestry, looks correct then that would mean Slsvc.exe is in the wrong location. But that doesn't make any sense either, because if slsvc.exe was in the wrong place, the Diagnostic Report would have shown it.  Just in case, please go to SystemRoot%\system32\ and see if you can find Slsvc.exe.

The only other possibility, I can think of, is that my Engineer mentioned that the Registry Cleaner program (the one that causes the 'System Error 3' issue) has a restore function. While he was troubleshooting the 'System Error 3', he found that if he used the Restore funtion, the Registry Entry 'ImagePath' (that the program had deleted when it was "cleaning") was put back. But (and here is the strange part) eventhough the missing Registry Entry "ImagePath' was no longer missing and the path that it pointed to was correct, the Software Licensing Service still wouldn't start.  The only way my engineer found to fix it was to re-delete  'ImagePath' and manually recreate it from scratch.

If this is the case with your issue, my hope is that the "system Error 3" fix will work just as good as manually recreating the 'ImagePath'. If not, I may have you do it manually. It's not hard to do, just hard to explain.  First, try the things I mention above and if they don't work, I'll walk you thru the process or recreating the 'ImagePath'.

Thanks,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by davelw Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:03 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi davelw,

I think I responded to you other post suggesting you follow the fix for the "system error 3" issue.

The cause of the "System Error 3" issue is a Free Registry Cleaner program deleted the Registry Entry that tell Vista where the file slsvc.exe is located.

Your error message "The system cannot find the file specified" suggets that your Registry Cleaner may have changed (instead of deleted) the Registry Entry, tell Vista where the file slsvc.exe is located. to a different location...so when Vista looks for the slsvc.exe file, if can't find it.

What I would like you to do is run Regedit.exe
      If you have access to the Start button, just type regerit in the Start Search field and hit enter
      If you don't have access to the Start button, then you will need to run the regedit.exe from the CMD window.

Once you have the Registry Editor open, click 'File' and select 'Export'.
    Name it 'RegBackup' and save it to your desktop. 
       If there are any problems, you can double click this files and your Registry will reset back to how it is right now.

In the Rgistry Editor, expand 'HKEYLOCAL_MACHINE'
    Then expand 'SYSTEM"
    Then expand 'CurrentControlSet'
    Then expand 'Services'
    Now, find (and click on) 'slsvc'

You should see 13 entries. I would like you to look at the "Description", "DisplayName" and "ImagePath" entries and compare them to what I list below:

Name                                    Type                                        Data

Description                            REG_SZ                           @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-102
    DisplayName                         REG_SZ                            @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101
    ImagePath                            REG_SZ                            %SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe

Are all 3 of these Entries visable in your Registry?
    If so, do they exactly match what I have listed?
    If not, what is different?

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Darin,

They are very similar to the entries you have above. Here's what they are:

Main key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slsvc

Description: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-100
    DisplayName: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101
    ImagePath: %SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe

Should I go ahead and run the fix for the 'system 3 error'?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Darin,

I found this in searching for solutions to this problem:

1) Open Internet Browser
    2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Reboot Twice

Is this a workable solution to this problem? I need to get this resolved quickly so I am inclined to go ahead and give this a try if it will fix the problem.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Hi davelw,

No, that solution, you found, will not work. It will just recreate Vista's Licencing Store which will have, unfortunately, no effect on the Software Licensing Service.

As for your Registry, it looks ok. But I still think you should try running the 'System Error 3' fix. If it doesn't fix the issue, it shouldn't do anything bad (and even if it does, you have the RegBackup file that will reset your registry back again). 

Give the error message "The system cannot find the file specified." and since Slsvc.exe is the file specified, it suggests only 2 possibilities, either the path to the file is wrong or the file isn't where it's supposed to be.  Since the ImagePath, in your regestry, looks correct then that would mean Slsvc.exe is in the wrong location. But that doesn't make any sense either, because if slsvc.exe was in the wrong place, the Diagnostic Report would have shown it.  Just in case, please go to SystemRoot%\system32\ and see if you can find Slsvc.exe.

The only other possibility, I can think of, is that my Engineer mentioned that the Registry Cleaner program (the one that causes the 'System Error 3' issue) has a restore function. While he was troubleshooting the 'System Error 3', he found that if he used the Restore funtion, the Registry Entry 'ImagePath' (that the program had deleted when it was "cleaning") was put back. But (and here is the strange part) eventhough the missing Registry Entry "ImagePath' was no longer missing and the path that it pointed to was correct, the Software Licensing Service still wouldn't start.  The only way my engineer found to fix it was to re-delete  'ImagePath' and manually recreate it from scratch.

If this is the case with your issue, my hope is that the "system Error 3" fix will work just as good as manually recreating the 'ImagePath'. If not, I may have you do it manually. It's not hard to do, just hard to explain.  First, try the things I mention above and if they don't work, I'll walk you thru the process or recreating the 'ImagePath'.

Thanks,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by davelw Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:03 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Darin,

That seems to have done the trick (creating and running the registry file). At the very least, I verified that the software license service is running again and that the control panel is back to displaying its icons. So, thank you very much for the help. I'll be more careful in the future when cleaning the registry. Funny thing was, I did do a backup (using the tool) before I did the clean and then a restore after things went haywire. But the restore seemed to do nothing. At the very least, I have now exported my entire registry so I can always restore from that (that's pretty much a worst case scenario).

Thanks again. I think we can mark this as closed or answered as the case may be.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:03 AM

•  Yep, That sounds just like what my engineer found, the registry cleaner's restore does, if fact,  put the registry key back, but for unknown reasons, it doesn't fix the issue.

It is good to know that the 'System Error 3' fix will resolve the 'System Error 2' type, as well.

Thank you very much for taking the time to come back and tell me!

Darin
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:14 AM
  • I am having a similar problem, I was trying to fix a memory issue and i got some bad feed back from someone telling me that slsvc.exe was a corrupting file, so i deleted it and it's folder and i am having a ____ of a time trying to get it back, i have done a system repair, reloaded the registrey and i am still having the same issue, i try to start or stop it in CMD and and it says files can not be specified.  If i could get some help with this i would apperciate it.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:37 AM
  • The slv thing will not work for me either.  My biggest problem is my start button and desktop will not show up because of it being limited.  I got this laptop from acer from Best Buy a year ago and it of course came with a legit copy of Windows.  Is there any way to get to my start button?  I cannot do anything but control-open  files, but it takes forever navigating trying to find the stuff.  I am positive that I got spyware or something that caused my operating system to show up like this.  The laptop did not come with a recovery disc, and the system recovery comes up with an error as well.  Honestly, should I be finding a pirated copy of Windows now to fix my problem? It seems those guys are getting better luck than I am!  I have Trend Micro and have had it since day 1 so I know that it's not the problem. 

So is there a way to access my start menu?  I am finding it impossible to try and fix anything without it.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:19 AM
  • Hello all,

If the fix did not work for you then you do not have the same issue as the original poster. In which case, you should create your own thread, post a Diagnostic Report and a short description of the issue,

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:07 PM