Microsoft HPC Pack 2019: adding driver to WinPE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi team,

I would need some tips about how to add a driver to the WinPE image. Not the actual Windows Image deployed, but to the booting environment.

We are just building an HPC Pack cluster composed of two head nodes and 136 compute nodes. For now, we have been able to install the two head nodes with Windows Server 2019 and install HPC Pack on them.

We are stuck at the step of provisioning the compute nodes. The nodes are provisioned through a 25Gb network. It seems that WinPE lacks the driver for those 25 GbE NICs. The compute node boots though PXE, gets connected to the head node, and deploys WinPE. Unfortunately, it gets stuck there as WinPE doesn't detect the network card. 

I tried to add the drivers to the HPC Pack "manage drivers" option, but I understand that this option adds the driver to the final image deployed on the node, and not to the WinPE. It didn't work anyways.

I understand (correct me if I'm not going towards the right direction) that the solution would be to add the network card driver to the WinPE image through dism utility. Unfortunately I cannot find where the WinPE used by HPC Pack is. And if not done though dism and the powershell, how should I do it?

Could you please give me a tip here?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020 7:03 PM