Powershell - Access Denied error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody, I'm new here (and in Powershell) and probably this question was asked many times. I just couldn't catch whats wrong with my code (it's simple code to copy folders tree to new tree like year/moth/day/copied_tree). So here is it:

$path = Get-ChildItem c:\zPS\test\ztest -Recurse | ?{$_.PsIsContainer -eq $true}
    $Year = Get-Date -uFormat "%Y"
    $Month = Get-Date -uFormat "%m"
    $Day = Get-Date -uFormat "%d"
    $dest = $z
    $zpath = 'C:\zPS\test\ztest1\'
    $parent = $path[0].Parent.Name
    $path | foreach {
    $z = New-Item -Path $zpath\"$Year"\"$Month"\"$Day" -Type "directory" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    $_.FullName -match "$parent.+" 
    New-Item -ItemType directory ($dest + $Matches[0]) #-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
                    }

After I run it, I get following:

New-Item : Access to the path 'test' is denied.
    At line:11 char:9
    + New-Item <<<<  -ItemType directory ($dest + $Matches[0]) #-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (C:\Program File...2008\ztest\test:String) [New-Item], UnauthorizedAccessException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CreateDirectoryUnauthorizedAccessError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand

So hope for you help. Tnx in advance.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:16 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Friday, May 29, 2015 5:48 AM

All replies

• New/old, Short/tall fat/small.  One size never fits all.

This makes no sense:

New-Item -Path $zpath\"$Year"\"$Month"\"$Day" -Type "directory" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

You are quoting everything to pieces and not looking at the errors.

Try this:

$targetPath='C:\zPS\test\ztest1\{0:yyyy}\{0:MM}\{0:dd}' -f [datetime]::Today
    New-Item -Path $targetPath -Type directory | Out-Null

You cannot keep creating the same folder inside of the loop.

This error is very explicit.  You have no access to this path: "C:\Program File...2008\ztest\test"

You should not be copying blindly into the "Programs" folders.  Why would you do this?  It is not a data or user folder set.

You need to rethink what you are doing as the code makes little sense.  State clearly what you need to do without referencing how.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, May 29, 2015 6:28 AM
  • You can also do this to see what is happening:

$path |
        foreach {
            $_.FullName -match "$parent.+"
            Write-Host ($dest + $Matches[0]) -fore green
        }

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, May 29, 2015 6:30 AM
  • Tnx for your reply!

Actually I have access to used path (it's local folder and used to test my scripts). I'm just started with PowerShell.

What I want from my scripts:

It'll work non stop(endless loop) "waiting" files to be generated by another script (or one day when I get better in PowerShell it'll be one script) and move the files to the "copied" folder tree with addition like I described before (year/moth/day/copied_tree/xx/xx/xx/moved_file), something like backup. At the moment I've 2 separated scripts, one for moving files if they are appropriate, second is "this"(folder tree copier). I'll try to combine them soon:)

As I understood you, I shouldn't put year/month/date into loop, right? But I need this part to be updated every day(and later may be hour).

So could you give some more advices for my task (it'd be very kind of you:))

P.S. Sorry if i had grammar mistakes, I'm not native English. Tnx for understanding:)

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Use RoboCopy.

Type: roboocoopy ./? and follow the instructions.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, May 29, 2015 8:32 AM
  • Thank You! I'll try it.
    Friday, May 29, 2015 9:22 AM