Driver Suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• I realize now that I've never actually installed a Microsoft "Server" OS before.  I know that my WHS machine will not be connected to a monitor after my initial OS install.  And other features like onboard motherboard audio are not really needed.  But it's always nice to eliminate all those exclamation points in device manager.  Plus, I definitely need my motherboard LAN drivers.  What drivers if any would you recommend for:

1.  Video Card

2.  Motherboard Audio (Realtek)

3.  Motherboard LAN (Realtek)

I"ve already checked the Gigabyte and ATI websites.  They do not have drivers listed for either WHS or Server 2003 operating systems.

Also, is there any problem installing a free antivirus program on WHS?  What do people recommend?  Thanks.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• I realize now that I've never actually installed a Microsoft "Server" OS before.  I know that my WHS machine will not be connected to a monitor after my initial OS install.  And other features like onboard motherboard audio are not really needed.  But it's always nice to eliminate all those exclamation points in device manager.  Plus, I definitely need my motherboard LAN drivers.  What drivers if any would you recommend for:

1.  Video Card

I"ve already checked the Gigabyte and ATI websites.  They do not have drivers listed for either WHS or Server 2003 operating systems. 

Server 2003 drivers are always the best choice.  But when they're not available, XP drivers will usually work as well.

Also, is there any problem installing a free antivirus program on WHS?  What do people recommend?  Thanks.

You shouldn't install any A/V on WHS that isn't WHS-specific (due to the way WHS handles files).  avast! and F-secure both make WHS A/V apps, but neither are free.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:48 PM
  • What drivers if any would you recommend for:

1.  Video Card

1. Don't need to add any for the video card.  What's loaded during the install is basic and it works.

2. Don't need to add any for the audio since you're not hooking up speakers or listening to music directly from the WHS machine.

3. Must install.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Also, is there any problem installing a free antivirus program on WHS?  What do people recommend?  Thanks.

There are no free AV products for Windows Home Server - do not try and install a free AV that is meant for XP/Vista/W7 etc, it will break your system eventually.

--
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:32 PM