Unable to reinstall WHS , continual "Home Server Discovery has stopped working" message RRS feed

• Question

• Have tried to reinstall my WHS on my HP Datavault. Have uninstalled the HP Mediasmart component , HP update and WHS Connector from Add/Remove programs. Rebooted and then ran the installation again from the HP Software Installation disc supplied with the Datavault and everything appears to go smoothly until just after the WHS Connector configuration completes whereupon i get the above error message (ie "Home Server Discovery has stopped working") displaying, on the last part of the install -  the discovery portion . This then winds back the WHS Connector install. I am running on a Win 7 x64 box. My system restore points would appear to not go back far enough for me to get around the problem  and before i do a full OS reinstall wondered if anyone has come across this problem before and knows how i might solve it, or can suggest some things i might try, before i go down that route.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:49 PM

Answers

• Al

Thanks for the reply, apologies i have not come back sooner; i have been away on a short holiday break. In the end, I had to perform a server reinstall using the server recovery disks supplied by HP to get around the above problem; even using the connector software from http://servername:55000/ did not work.

Interestingly, the server recovery process wasnt smooth either; it turned out that since i had a static IP address, the server recovery kept falling over with "failed at step 3 of 4", then a help button appeared, which when clicked displayed the message "unidentified error occurred" ..which is about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard as far as helpful error messages go. Anyway, temporarily changing my network adapter config settings to find an ip address automatically, allowed the server recovery software to progress past the previous error message i was getting, and allow me to get my WHS back up and running, and bonus, with no loss of data.

• Marked as answer by gates3 Friday, April 9, 2010 8:09 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try getting the connector software from http://servername:55000/ instead - it should be the latest version for PowerPack 3 (PP3).

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Al

Thanks for the reply, apologies i have not come back sooner; i have been away on a short holiday break. In the end, I had to perform a server reinstall using the server recovery disks supplied by HP to get around the above problem; even using the connector software from http://servername:55000/ did not work.

Interestingly, the server recovery process wasnt smooth either; it turned out that since i had a static IP address, the server recovery kept falling over with "failed at step 3 of 4", then a help button appeared, which when clicked displayed the message "unidentified error occurred" ..which is about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard as far as helpful error messages go. Anyway, temporarily changing my network adapter config settings to find an ip address automatically, allowed the server recovery software to progress past the previous error message i was getting, and allow me to get my WHS back up and running, and bonus, with no loss of data.

• Marked as answer by gates3 Friday, April 9, 2010 8:09 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:48 AM
  • Have tried to reinstall my WHS on my HP Datavault. Have uninstalled the HP Mediasmart component , HP update and WHS Connector from Add/Remove programs. Rebooted and then ran the installation again from the HP Software Installation disc supplied with the Datavault and everything appears to go smoothly until just after the WHS Connector configuration completes whereupon i get the above error message (ie "Home Server Discovery has stopped working") displaying, on the last part of the install -  the discovery portion . This then winds back the WHS Connector install. I am running on a Win 7 x64 box. My system restore points would appear to not go back far enough for me to get around the problem  and before i do a full OS reinstall wondered if anyone has come across this problem before and knows how i might solve it, or can suggest some things i might try, before i go down that route.

Thanks in advance

I recently completed a successful reinstallation of WHS.  Try the following:

1. Disconnect the Internet Connection to the computer.  For some reason Remote Access goes crazy as you are attempting to reinstall. Normally you will be installing WHS with SP1. It is going to take about 3 to 4 hours to reinstall. Upon a successful reinstall, DO NOT select automatic updates.  Apparently there is a file KB941914 causes problems.
    2. Reconnect the Internet Cable to your system.
    3. Install your hardware drivers. WHS works great with drivers that are Win/XP ready.  Anything else causes inconsistent if not non-working features.  You need to get our NIC card working so you can finish the installation to the latest updates.  If you don’t have the hardware drivers you will have to another computer and simply google the driver for Win/XP.  You can put it on a flash drive and install.
    4. Once you have a successful Internet Connection select Windows Update but DO NOT select express.  You want CUSTOM.  Avoid installing .NETFrame 3.5.  I just won’t install on the WHS and any other operating system. It will take about 30-40 minutes to install the first leg. 
    5. Install is done, Select Update again and SP2 will download.  It will take about 30-40 minutes to install.  Do the same for SP3.
    6. Now open the console.  Your folders should all be there.  Setup Users.
    7. Now reactive Remote Access.  If you had already done port forwarding on your router WHS will find the previous settings just fine.  You will be asked to enter your Microsoft Digital Signature which is normally *.hotmail, MSN or Live.com email account.
    8. You’re back in business.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:45 PM