Planning to use robocopy for server backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any drawback in my solution which would be the following:

Use the WHS2011 server with following disks:
    - 2TB (C: and D:) for OS + documents(photos, documents, music)
    - 2TB drive for client computers backups
    - 2TB drive for videos
    - 2TB backup (for videos) ==> Done with scheduled robocopy /MIR script (every 2 weeks)
    - 2TB backup (for OS + documents) ==> Done with WHS 2011 backup tool (for restore abilities)

I do not plan to backup client computer backups, as the probability of loosing both client computer & WHS drive at the same time would be quite low.

What do you think about this solution ? Are there drawbacks ?

Regards

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:38 PM

All replies

• I am going through a similar thought process which was going down the lines you suggest. I assume you do not add movies frequently or I would suggest a more frequent backup.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:55 PM
  •  Are there drawbacks ?

The class of disasters generally referred to as force majeure: fire, flood, severe weather, theft. As long as all copies of some of your data (home computer backups in your case) are in a single location, you're vulnerable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Additional question: imagine my D: drive fails and I loose my document folder... How will robocopy react with the /MIR command when not finding the source ? Will it delete also the target folder ?

Thanks a lot Ken, I'm aware of all this, but basically my first fear is hard drive crash. Concerning the other one I'll deal with it by offsite backups. By the way I like your use of french "force majeure", being myself french it's always nice to have some native wording ;-)

PhilipJH: I do not buy a lot of new movies, and 2 weeks seems to be an acceptable delay for re-ripping lost data. But of course I can always launch the task manually whenever I add several movie rips in one shot !

My priorities are:
    - Getting the server up and running again in case of system drive crash, thus the use of the WHS backup system
    - Getting the movies in shared folder again, thus the use of simple copies, which would allow me to just have to move the shared folder

I'm still questionning myself about other documents (pictures, music...), using robocopy would enable quick restore. What's the global performance of WHS 2011 backup restore if I consider system + 600GB of data on an intel atom D525 1,8GHZ dual core computer with 4GB of RAM and WD green 5400 hard drives ? (I don't need a precise number but a range)...

Thanks a lot

Benoit

Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:40 PM
  • I don't use Robocopy bur Sync Toy instead. If you set up sync to "Contribute" it will always only add to the backup and not delete. If it can't find either the source or destination the script stops so data is safe.

Bon chance

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Like PhilipJH, I also use SyncToy. Although, I use it in "Echo" mode. Since I only use it for non-critical data (digital copies of my CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays), I don't need versioning, just a backup of the current content of my media folders.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:04 PM