MS Office Trial Version wont accept my product key RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently purchased an ASUS Eee PC Seashell Netbook.  It came preinstalled with a Trial version of Home and Student 07.  Last year I purchased a downloadable version of Office Ultimate and the backup disk.  I have the correct product key from my confirmation email.  When I enter that product key to activate my Office on the NETBOOK it tells my my product key is wrong.  I have been trying to figure out what to do as I don't have a diskdrive on the netbook, nor do I have an external disk drive to use the backup-reinstall disk that I have.  I know that it is the right one because I had to "wipe" my desktop and then reinstalled the Office Ultimate and it worked then (like 2 weeks ago) Please help me!
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi kytibk,

The key for Office Ultimate will not work in Office Home and Student. The Product Key from one type of Office is not compatible when entered into a different type of Office.

I recommend uninstall the Trial Home and Student Office and install the Office Ultimate using the Office Ulimate key.

As for how to get the Office Ultimate on the Netbook, I can suggest a few options: 

1) If it has a USB port, you could copy the Office disk onto a thumb drive or USB removable hard drive and install it on the netbook thru the USB port

2) You could upload the Office software, using a regular computer, to some online storage and then download it from the storage, onto your Netbook.  I suggest using the Windows Live SkyDrive. http://windowslive.com (Free 5gb of storage)

Hope that helps,
    Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi kytibk,

The key for Office Ultimate will not work in Office Home and Student. The Product Key from one type of Office is not compatible when entered into a different type of Office.

I recommend uninstall the Trial Home and Student Office and install the Office Ultimate using the Office Ulimate key.

As for how to get the Office Ultimate on the Netbook, I can suggest a few options: 

1) If it has a USB port, you could copy the Office disk onto a thumb drive or USB removable hard drive and install it on the netbook thru the USB port

2) You could upload the Office software, using a regular computer, to some online storage and then download it from the storage, onto your Netbook.  I suggest using the Windows Live SkyDrive. http://windowslive.com (Free 5gb of storage)

Hope that helps,
    Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Darin MS,
    Thank you for this.  I wondered if that was the problem.  I tried to copy the disk onto my external hard-drive last night and it didn't work- maybe I did it wrong? When I put the disk in my desktop it prompts me to either runsetup.exe or open folder to view files- if I want to copy it directly so that I can transfer it directly to my Netbook can you give me some directions on how to do so? also the same with the windows live storage- Im not sure what exactly I need to copy...
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi kytibk,

From your original post, I understood this was a downloaded version of Office Ultimate. If that is the case, then just move the downloaded file to the thumb drive. 

If you are using a Disk to install the office, then I'm not the best person to answer your question.  I recommend posting the question of "how to copy the Office disk onto a thumb drive so you can install on a netbook that doesn't have a CD/DVD drive" in the Office Newsgroups at http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:10 PM