Best Practices re: migration of customizations from environment to environment RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can direct me to any information, white papers, tools etc. that describe recommendations and or best practices to implement when developing CRM solutions and deploying customizations from Dev to Test to QA to Prod. 

The problem we keep running in to is after a time the target environment's customizations become so out of sync with the source environment that it requires an inordinate amount of manual work to get the target environment to a state where an import all will succeed. 

Also are there are any tools that might automate this reconciliation process?  We're hoping to get to a point where we can be reasonably confident the automated build process will succeed with no intervention.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

p.s. We've looked at the Customization Comparison Utility and the Confiruation Data Utility noted in the below link and while they provide a lot of benefits they don't quite meet our needs.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:05 PM

Answers

• After more investigation and testing the Configuration Data Utility tool it looks like it will meet our needs. 

Kgor - thanks for the offer.  I may take you up on it at a later date.

• Marked as answer by Cape Codder Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:59 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue but working mainly with Customization Comparison Utility to manually track especially changes because this may cause a biggest problem.
    If you want we define whole process of updating environments and code versionnig so I can send to you (we have presentation how to do it).

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:24 PM
  • After more investigation and testing the Configuration Data Utility tool it looks like it will meet our needs. 

Kgor - thanks for the offer.  I may take you up on it at a later date.

• Marked as answer by Cape Codder Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:59 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:59 PM