WHS freezes with nForce4 SATA drivers RRS feed

• General discussion

• Fyi

I have bought brand new parts to build my new WHS server. To build and install the server was pretty fine and it performed well afterwards, but I have had now some very time consuming and frustrating weeks behind me. Always, when I tried to backup or copy my data from the client to the WHS (several hundred GBytes), it freezed somewhat later, usually after some hours in the middle of the copy job. Or after midnight, when volume snapshot runs or so.

I tried a lot of things, but at the end it became stable, when I removed the Nvidia nForce4 disk drivers. Since I use the original Windows drivers, it works. Not as fast as before, but stable. Tried newes BIOS release, latest Nvidia drivers for that board, replaced disk, and so on. Nothing helped.

My hardware:

Mainboard: Gigabyte M61P-S3 with nForce 430, BIOS F6 (tried F4, F5 as well)

CPU: AMD Athlon64x2 3800+ EE

RAM: Kingston DIMM 1 GB DDR2-667 (1024 MB)

2 SATA disks (320 GB, 250 GB)

1 ATA disk (250 GB)

From my expierence I just can say: guys, never buy motherboards with nForce4 to build a WHS server !

Sunday, November 4, 2007 5:55 PM

All replies

• I have been experiencing similar problems with a system that I just built using the same motherboard.  The lockups seemed to be happening randomly after being up for several hours.  This morning the system was locked and will no longer boot at all - it POSTs fine though.

My hardware:
    Mobo: Gigabyte M61P-S3, BIOS F5
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (65W)
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB (2x1024) (TWIN2x2048-6400C5DHX)
    2 SATA drives (Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB)

Has anyone had any success finding a workaround, or is this motherboard just not compatible with WHS? 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a motherboard that will work?
    Monday, November 5, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

The easiest way to check if a board is suitable for WHS is choose the one you like and then see if it has drivers on the manufacturers web site for Windows 2003 Server. Also, check the information for anything that says it's suitable for running without a video card. Most of the modern boards will with no problems, but there might be a few that don't.

HTH,

Colin

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Tuscan3,

see above my first mail, there you get the workaround.

ColinWH is right - for all those who are going to buy a motherboard, they shall follow his recommendation. For those with existing nForce4 chipset, it may be a stable workaround, to stay with the original Microsoft drivers, instead of the "optimized" ones from NVidia.

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.

Atrider - I wasn't sure how much success you had with the workaround you mentioned.  How long have you been able to keep your WHS PC up and running using this solution?  I ask because if you still have to bounce the server occasionally with this fix, I'll just bite the bullet and RMA my mainboard. 

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:10 PM
  •  

Well, with the original MS disk driver it did neither freeze since 3 days uptime, nor had any disk or NTFS errors in the system event log (which occured often and always with the Nvidia drivers).

Okay, up to know I cannot say, it runs stable for a week or month, but coming to 3 days uptime without issues now, brings back my hope, its over now.

Reading about your problems with the same mainboard, I do not think there is a fault in it, rather I think, this is a design problem, especially from the drivers (Nvidia) side.

And as there are no newer or other drivers available, you need to switch to another mainboard and take care, that the server OS is explicitly supported with drivers.

As I have no chance to switch, I would loose much money to buy another board. So, if the MS drivers are stable, I will stick with it. Why not. I supports up to 16 GB RAM and has some PCI slots (these were two main reasons, why I bought it). If the system is going to get stable now (still hoping, fingers crossed), I like to install VMWare Server on it

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Update: it still runs very well without the nForc4 driver

The original MS driver looks to be stable.

So, my experience is: if you have this motherboard, don't play with the disk drivers from Gigabyte or nVidia - they are just sh*t !

Friday, November 9, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Confirmation: still stable, long uptimes without issues.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:22 AM
  • Thanks for the updates.  Since my last post I returned the Gigabyte motherboard, and swapped it out with an Abit AN-M2HD.  I'm glad to say that the Abit motherboard has been working flawlessly for the past week! 

cheers!

Anthony

Sunday, November 18, 2007 11:56 PM
  • I just stumbled on your post whil googling for new drivers for the same board

I have had WHS freeze every six hours with everything I have tried for a long couple weeks now

I have reinstalled several times, and tried lots of things.

I am going to not load the new drivers now, leave the MS ones in and see what happens and see what happens
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Atrider seems to have gotten his system stable by doing that.  I had the option to return my motherboard and get a different one, so I went that route.  The Abit board I bought as a replacement had Windows Server 2003 drivers, so it has been working flawlessly for the past few weeks.

Good luck!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:22 AM
  • I think I have finally got it stable (though it has been only 1 day)

As the chipset drivers for this board are all packaged in one installer rather than seperate and all I really needed to get running was the ethernet driver I went a different route.

Instead of installing it  I left it all alone as installed by WHS, then added a DLINK net card I had in my junk drawer and installed drivers for that.

Seems to have worked! I have ran chkdsk, both forced and the built in every 6 hour scheduled and no problems...so far anyway.

I will post back in a week or so if all is well.

Thanks folks!
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Just to mention: my system is rock solid now. I am using the built-in Microsoft disk/controller driver and the nVidia network driver. There were two ways doing that: the Gigabyte CD which was shipped with the board, allows separate installation. Or, the other way, you can remove the driver after the installation of the package.

I never expected to run into these kind of problems with a Gigabyte board. My main reasons to choose that board was space for 16 GB RAM, plenty of PCI slots and on-board graphics. <sigh>

Though, now it works and is stable as expected. So, a good end at the end...

(but would never buy that board again, and would strongly recommend to just buy one which comes with W2k3 server drivers )

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:12 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with an Nvidia 680i board..  I happen to know that Nvidia patched the sata driver for an issue in August of 2007 but I've tried installing this updated driver with no success.  It appears to install but when you go back and look at the driver revision in device manager it is still the old 5.xx version.  I guess we need to force it to load somewhow.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:14 PM
  • It may be too early to say the problems are totally fixed, but I have had my WHS up now for over 3 days.

I have added nearly a terabyte of files, created and deleted accounts, duplicated shares, ran chkdsk and generally beat on it.

Running stable now, no errors, no lockups, all seems well.

Cheers folks and thanks for your input.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:08 PM

• I am having similar random system hang-up problems with my Gigabyte M61P-
    S3 MOBO. I installed all my drivers from the gigabyte website. So the workaround is to use Microsoft disk/controller driver and the nVidia NIC driver, is that correct? How do I remove the drivers? Control Panel->System->Hardware-> Device Manager-> ??? (then what)  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:36 PM
  • I can confirm: since a month my system is now rock solid. Permanent uptime, no crashes or freezes anymore. Just remove the Nvidia disk driver and let Windows install its own driver. The original Microsoft drivers may not be the fastest (I can not complain, it is ok for me), but much better quality!

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Funny, I was getting BSOD (blue screen of death) on my CLIENT pc which has a nForce4 motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI AMD).  I only got this when I tried the backup, but file transfer was very very slow.  Error with NVSTOR.SYS, downloaded new driver package, but it didn't update the IDE driver.....   Now no more BSOD but another problem: "the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".   Hey, I'm not a "fashion" guy but this has been pretty frustrating.  Tried 3 manual backups, failed, same error.  I get up this morning and the auto download (3am) succeded...go figure.   Nice to know I can just switch out my MB for another if needed.  I do remember having trouble with that once though...lol...somethings about remounting the drives first.  Guess I'll just wait and see?

Happy Holidays,

Gary

Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:02 PM
  • That's interetsting - I have the same mobo (Asus A8N-SLI Premium) for my client PC and have not seen these problems.  I'm using SATA drives, but I doubt that would make the difference.  I don't know if that helps you or not, but I suspect that problem is not your motherboard.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:39 PM
  •  Sam G wrote:
    It may be too early to say the problems are totally fixed, but I have had my WHS up now for over 3 days.

I have added nearly a terabyte of files, created and deleted accounts, duplicated shares, ran chkdsk and generally beat on it.

Running stable now, no errors, no lockups, all seems well.

Cheers folks and thanks for your input.

It has now been almost three weeks uptimewithout a reboot. All seems well.

Thanks for the input folks

Cheers!

Sam
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Hi all,

I was pulling my hair out until I saw this thread.....the system would crash every few hours/days it was random.

I re-installed WHS, using a new D-link gigE card, didn't use the Gigabyte cd at all.

Has been running for a week now, no reboots no hangups....fingers crossed.

The reason I bought the Gigabyte motherboard, apart from the onboard graphics was that Pc Pro in the UK ecommended it....!

Thanks for all the guidance guys

Alasdair
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:35 PM
  •  glmccready wrote:

Funny, I was getting BSOD (blue screen of death) on my CLIENT pc which has a nForce4 motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI AMD).  I only got this when I tried the backup, but file transfer was very very slow.  Error with NVSTOR.SYS, downloaded new driver package, but it didn't update the IDE driver.....   Now no more BSOD but another problem: "the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".   Hey, I'm not a "fashion" guy but this has been pretty frustrating.  Tried 3 manual backups, failed, same error.  I get up this morning and the auto download (3am) succeded...go figure.   Nice to know I can just switch out my MB for another if needed.  I do remember having trouble with that once though...lol...somethings about remounting the drives first.  Guess I'll just wait and see?

Happy Holidays,

Gary

I just brought online my Windows Home Server and was able to backup my wifes PC"cheap HP", but my PC ASUS A8N-SLI I also get the BSOD as above having issues with the NVSTOR.SYS. I attempted one download but it would not apply, need to find new drivers.

Friday, June 27, 2008 11:09 PM