WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Performing a Client Computer Backup; how do I point this backup to an additional hard disk that is connected WHS 2011 machine. While setting up backup I am never asked for destination drive.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:41 PM

Answers

• You don't have any way to change thye location of a singlwe backup, or a single computer's backups. All backups are stored in the client backup database, which uses single instance storage to eliminate duplicate blocks of data for purposes of disk and network efficiency.

What you can change is the location of the backup database. You can change the location of the client computer backups folder just like any other share on your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, September 19, 2011 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Performing a Client Computer Backup; how do I point this backup to an additional hard disk that is connected WHS 2011 machine. While setting up backup I am never asked for destination drive.

In Dashboard, use the "Move the Folder" wizard under "Server Folders and Hard Drives, Server Folders" to move the location of the "Client Computer Backups" from its current location to the other drive you want to use. As Ken says, this applies to all your Client backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, August 19, 2011 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• You don't have any way to change thye location of a singlwe backup, or a single computer's backups. All backups are stored in the client backup database, which uses single instance storage to eliminate duplicate blocks of data for purposes of disk and network efficiency.

What you can change is the location of the backup database. You can change the location of the client computer backups folder just like any other share on your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:32 PM

In Dashboard, use the "Move the Folder" wizard under "Server Folders and Hard Drives, Server Folders" to move the location of the "Client Computer Backups" from its current location to the other drive you want to use. As Ken says, this applies to all your Client backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, August 19, 2011 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:57 PM