Mass emailing very slow. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have recently sent out an email for a campaign of around 6000 emails. However, this took a very long time to complete. The emails were sent on Tuesday morning and the last emails arrived in the user's mailboxes late last night. We plan to send out further mass emails to 15,000+ people.

I would guess we may need to give more resources to the servers handling this. I have noticed the SQL server's memory usage gets higher but not much else. Which servers would need more resources? SQL, Exchange, CRM? Or is there another reason for this taking a long time?

Regards,

James

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hi James, depending on the method you are using to send the email from CRM, it's most likely to be the CRM Asynchronous Service that is the bottleneck in this scenario. Of course, do your own analysis first, but if you want to continue using CRM to deliver marketing emails, consider using CRM Server Enterprise Edition and deploying a dedicated server for running the async service.

CRM's email marketing features are pretty rudimentary. When I ran a CRM hosting company we encouraged customers to use a third-party email marketing service provider (integrated with the CRM system we hosted for them). There are several issues with CRM's email marketing features: no decent HTML email editor, no delivery statistics, usually poor delivery rates, high resource utilisation, risk of domain blacklisting, etc. Email service providers understand these challenges and have solved them.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi James, depending on the method you are using to send the email from CRM, it's most likely to be the CRM Asynchronous Service that is the bottleneck in this scenario. Of course, do your own analysis first, but if you want to continue using CRM to deliver marketing emails, consider using CRM Server Enterprise Edition and deploying a dedicated server for running the async service.

CRM's email marketing features are pretty rudimentary. When I ran a CRM hosting company we encouraged customers to use a third-party email marketing service provider (integrated with the CRM system we hosted for them). There are several issues with CRM's email marketing features: no decent HTML email editor, no delivery statistics, usually poor delivery rates, high resource utilisation, risk of domain blacklisting, etc. Email service providers understand these challenges and have solved them.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, December 3, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Hi Neil,

I have also noticed these 'limitations', but the user dealing with these mass emails insists on using the CRM for everything. It looks like splitting the CRM services on dedicated servers may be the ideal solution in my case.

Regards,

James

Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:21 PM