Disable auto wake feature RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to prevent my computer from waking to complete an automatic backup at night? I still want to be able to hibernate my computer and have automatic backups enabled for when I leave my computer on all night on purpose.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 2:43 AM

Answers

• We don't provide UI to do this, but you could accomplish it by stopping the Windows Home Server Connector Service on your computer.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 8:40 PM

All replies

• We don't provide UI to do this, but you could accomplish it by stopping the Windows Home Server Connector Service on your computer.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 8:40 PM
  • In the final version it would be a nice feature to be able to do this. I hibernate my notebook and leave it in my bedroom at night. It kept waking me up at 1am to backup.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Well, if it's a notebook, just unplug the power cord, WHS won't back-up a computer that's running on batteries.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:47 PM
  • I have the same issue w/ my laptop, however, it does wake up from hihernate even when unplugged and then goes to standby mode and drains the battery completely.  If there is a configurable setting I haven't been able to find it.  In the final release it would be nice to access the client connector software settings to adjust those settings even when not connected to the WHS.  I also notice that even when my laptop is plugged in, when it wakes from hibernate and does an automatic backup that it doesn't return to hibernate but goes to standby.  It should return to the state it was in before the automatic backup started.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 5:48 PM
  • have you tried disabling the wake on lan option in your bios for your laptop?  i haven't had a chance or HD space to mess with the back up features yet, but it would make sense to me that if you disable the wake on lan option in your bios that it will only backup when the laptop is left on...am I on to something here?  Smile
    Monday, July 2, 2007 10:47 PM
  • WHS doesn't use Wake on LAN for backups (or anything). It's not reliable enough, and support for it among hardware vendors is, umm, uneven.

Your laptop wakes up to run a backup because the connector wakes it, using ACPI or other functions.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:49 AM