Communicator 2007 GPO install problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am able to successfully install and use Communicator 2007 if I manually install it.  However, I have found a problem when trying to deploy Communicator 2007 via Group Policy.  I have tested this on a handful of computers, both Win XP and Vista without any success (same problem).  The program will not initialize after GPO deployment, and there are the following errors in the event log:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SideBySide
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 32
    Date: 10/18/2007
    Time: 12:44:08 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MIKE-TB
    Description:
    Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event ID: 59
    Description:
    Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event ID: 59
    Description:
    Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communicator\Communicator.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event ID: 26
    Description:
    Application popup: Communicator.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application.

A little bit of research leads me to believe that there is a problem with how the msi was compiled, as this problem does not occur after a manual install.  I'm not a developer, but I found the following link that seems applicable, despite it not being specific to Communicator:
    http://www.davidlenihan.com/2007/07/winsxs.html

Can anyone verify that they have successfully tested a GPO installation of Communicator 2007?  I would love to get this working!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:37 PM

All replies

• One thing to note... I am using the DFS Namespace path to the MSI file in the software insallation GPO.  Is there any known problem with using a DFS Namespace for GPO software installations?

Mike

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:43 PM
  • I'm really hoping someone can provide some feedback on this problem.  I'd really like to get Communicator 2007 deployed but I don't want to have to touch every desktop to do it.  Has anyone successfully deployed Communicator 2007 via GPO?  Or does anyone from MS understand why I'm getting the error above?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Mike

Friday, November 2, 2007 1:48 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I had the exact same problem (although it didn't work manually either) and I installed the VCRedist_x86.exe which resolved the problem... The errors in the event log were because the Visual C libraries were missing... The installer can be found on the OCS 2007 server media in \Setup\i386 folder...

Hope this helps!

Baz
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I have tested that but it only works if the user installing have admin rights. Someone told me that there was the same issue with 2005 version?

So that would make GPO installation useless. Perhaps it works better with SMS.

The Communicator 2007 deployment guide says that Admin rights are needed for using it? I don't know how that would be possible in a corporate environment?

Also tried to install with a separate admin account, but it didn't show up for the non admin user.

Anyone been able to install to non admin users? Can it be used with non admin rights?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:17 PM
  • The following KB article has now been published:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947379/en-us

Regards,
    Nic
    Monday, January 28, 2008 8:50 PM
  • One way around this is to download the Runtime files separately.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

You can then use a .zap file for the .exe and publish them along with the Communicator .msi.  As long as the users install the Runtime files first, Communicator will install without a hitch.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:59 PM