Media Streaming? RRS feed

• Question

• Any chance we will see a plugin to allow media streaming through the web in the near future?  Any plans for full Media Center Integration soon?  I have a slingbox that I would like to retire in the very near future if possible...

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:29 AM

Answers

• Good suggestions. You might want to submit them as product suggestions on Connect.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:04 PM

All replies

• Good suggestions. You might want to submit them as product suggestions on Connect.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 12:04 PM
  • Well, there are some ways. If you want, you can use Red 5 on IIS, it's free, and will give you Flash video capability ( h.264 and AAC ), it is a tedious setup, but doable. Prepackaged, you can use the Wowza Media Server ( free edition ), it uses Flash video, and I have it up and running on my WHS. Same capabilities, Flash video over RTMP, great quality. For web streaming, your best bet is Flash video, as you can see from the broadcast networks websites. Just requires an RTMP server compatible with WHS/IIS. I am not certain of the restrictions on the EULA for Adobe's Flash Video Server ( developers edition ), but it is also free, and can handle up to 5 streams, Wowza gives 10 streams. I am not aware of competing video servers of greater quality than an RTMP server, although the Microsoft video server is well thought of.

Ben
    Monday, July 14, 2008 6:05 PM