Has One Care paralysed my pc? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running one care on my laptop (Vista OS) for several months with little problem until recently. First up, I wont claim that one care is definitely responsible for my app's failure to launch (including one care itself) because I just don't know but would like some advice.

3 nights ago my laptop was just fine. The next morning I fired the machine up and One Care did not launch. The same happened with iTunes, and then frantically checking, almost everything else on my desktop. In fact I cannot open restore centre or control panel. The windows start but are not populated with any icons and it just hangs.

I suspect that One Care may be the problem because if I don't use task manager (this is still working) to close the hung window, eventually a pop up message appears telling me that one care has stopped working or been turned off even though I have not tried to engage it.

Now here's the rub. Because I used one care to decide what to launch at startup I suspect that if the original failure is one care then it is still stopping other applications from launching.

I have read some other posts on here about one care not starting withe the resulting advice being to check on .net. This advice seems to be for xp users; am I correct or does this apply to vista also?
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• The problem also affects Vista users, but the solution isn't the same as in XP as you can't uninstall/reinstall .Net 2.0 on Vista.

To repair .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Vista, see this blog entry:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If that doesn't solve the problem, please contact OneCare support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Thank you for the response. Just an update.

I have found that by selecting Directory Services Restore Mode I was able to get more info.

My One Care problem appears to be related to winss.

Generis error from winss 1/3/08
    Problem event name: A1 Telemetry
    Problem signature 1: 2.0.2500.14
    Problem signature 2: Upload
    Problem signature 3: 0x80072ee7
    Problem signature 4: https//mnt.s1.onecarelive.com/MnT.asmx
    Problem signature 5: CallTelemetryWebService
    Problem signature 6: 0
    Problem signature 7: n/a

OS version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

I have received a response from MS support staff member and will work through the issues.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:01 AM
  • I am having a similar issue on my laptop.  The laptop came pre-installed a year ago with Vista, and I purchased Windows Live OneCare and downloaded the installation.  3 days ago, the computer time suddenly reverted to 07/01/2006 and all of the Window's based functions now freeze (i.e. I can not uninstall programs, I can not use Windows Explorer or access the Control Panel etc.).  This is very similar to an issue I had about 7 months ago with Windows Live OneCare, and the resolution was to uninstall the program and reinstall it- that worked then, but not now.  I tried downloaded the app to uninstall it, but when I restarted the computer, the screen came up completely black with only a mouse pointer.  So, I did a system restore to a few days ago when I know the comp was working right, and now I have my screen back, but I have Windows Live OneCare on it again, and no way to uninstall it without going through the same steps.  Are there any known compatibility issues with Vista and OneCare? It seems like the problem might be related to the updates that one or the other program gets every night.  I would appreciate some kind of help in getting OneCare removed from my computer and then getting Vista to function properly again.

P.S.  I ran a cmd prompt diagnostic, and it came up with corrupt files that it said it was unable to fix, so now I don't know what to do!

mephisto668 wrote:

I have been running one care on my laptop (Vista OS) for several months with little problem until recently. First up, I wont claim that one care is definitely responsible for my app's failure to launch (including one care itself) because I just don't know but would like some advice.

3 nights ago my laptop was just fine. The next morning I fired the machine up and One Care did not launch. The same happened with iTunes, and then frantically checking, almost everything else on my desktop. In fact I cannot open restore centre or control panel. The windows start but are not populated with any icons and it just hangs.

I suspect that One Care may be the problem because if I don't use task manager (this is still working) to close the hung window, eventually a pop up message appears telling me that one care has stopped working or been turned off even though I have not tried to engage it.

Now here's the rub. Because I used one care to decide what to launch at startup I suspect that if the original failure is one care then it is still stopping other applications from launching.

I have read some other posts on here about one care not starting withe the resulting advice being to check on .net. This advice seems to be for xp users; am I correct or does this apply to vista also?

Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:47 PM

• Update

After trawling through the event logs etc I have found the following warning message. event ID 2001 source WinSS

Broadcast messaging failed to contact the broadcast messaging server.  URL=https://bm.onecare.live.com/bm.aspx?amb=0001000507980000&ame=000100010CE50000&asd=0001001D1D650000&avd=0001001D1D650000&br=Default&ccv=000100080007000F&cv=0000000000000000&fv=0&g1=03&g2=GN&l=en-au&o=v&p=8&r=3&s={1033fb6e-438f-48aa-9ac5-f28fb1592ac4}&v=0002000009C4000E.  The data is the failure HRESULT.

I copied in the URL to my browser to se where it would lead. A pop up message advised that there was a domain name mismatch.

"system is attempting to establish a connection with bm.onecarelive.com. Security Certificate presented belongs to bm.windowsonecare.com."

What does OC have to do with Windows Live anyway?

I think it is related to MS IM in some way, which I recently added and will dump as soon as I can get this machine firing on all 4 cylinders again.

How do I get one care to look at the correct URL for anti virus dictionary updates, which is what I am assuming one care is trying to do?
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:43 AM
  •  mephisto668 wrote:
    Hi Stephen

Thank you for the response. Just an update.

I have found that by selecting Directory Services Restore Mode I was able to get more info.

My One Care problem appears to be related to winss.

Generis error from winss 1/3/08
    Problem event name: A1 Telemetry
    Problem signature 1: 2.0.2500.14
    Problem signature 2: Upload
    Problem signature 3: 0x80072ee7
    Problem signature 4: https//mnt.s1.onecarelive.com/MnT.asmx
    Problem signature 5: CallTelemetryWebService
    Problem signature 6: 0
    Problem signature 7: n/a

OS version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

I have received a response from MS support staff member and will work through the issues.

That is a transient error meaning that it can't reach the servers to provide the heartbeat data and check for updates.

It should not be repeating too often, but if it does, there is an underlying problem that may be causing this.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:29 PM
  •  xracinggreyhoundx wrote:

I am having a similar issue on my laptop.  The laptop came pre-installed a year ago with Vista, and I purchased Windows Live OneCare and downloaded the installation.  3 days ago, the computer time suddenly reverted to 07/01/2006 and all of the Window's based functions now freeze (i.e. I can not uninstall programs, I can not use Windows Explorer or access the Control Panel etc.).  This is very similar to an issue I had about 7 months ago with Windows Live OneCare, and the resolution was to uninstall the program and reinstall it- that worked then, but not now.  I tried downloaded the app to uninstall it, but when I restarted the computer, the screen came up completely black with only a mouse pointer.  So, I did a system restore to a few days ago when I know the comp was working right, and now I have my screen back, but I have Windows Live OneCare on it again, and no way to uninstall it without going through the same steps.  Are there any known compatibility issues with Vista and OneCare? It seems like the problem might be related to the updates that one or the other program gets every night.  I would appreciate some kind of help in getting OneCare removed from my computer and then getting Vista to function properly again.

P.S.  I ran a cmd prompt diagnostic, and it came up with corrupt files that it said it was unable to fix, so now I don't know what to do!

I guess my first question is, did you correct the system date and reboot before trying to diagnose the OneCare issue? A system clock problem can wreak havoc with OneCare as it needs to have an accurate system clock to match signature and update data, along with Certificate data for subscription status, etc.

To remove OneCare from the PC if it can't be done via Control Panel,  use the Cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

OneCare is designed for Vista and XP, so the problem would not be caused by simply being Vista.

The system clock issue indicates something wrong with the hardware on your PC. It could be as simple as a battery problem, though on a laptop the CMOS battery may not be user replaceable.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:34 PM
  •  mephisto668 wrote:

Update

After trawling through the event logs etc I have found the following warning message. event ID 2001 source WinSS

Broadcast messaging failed to contact the broadcast messaging server.  URL=https://bm.onecare.live.com/bm.aspx?amb=0001000507980000&ame=000100010CE50000&asd=0001001D1D650000&avd=0001001D1D650000&br=Default&ccv=000100080007000F&cv=0000000000000000&fv=0&g1=03&g2=GN&l=en-au&o=v&p=8&r=3&s={1033fb6e-438f-48aa-9ac5-f28fb1592ac4}&v=0002000009C4000E.  The data is the failure HRESULT.

I copied in the URL to my browser to se where it would lead. A pop up message advised that there was a domain name mismatch.

"system is attempting to establish a connection with bm.onecarelive.com. Security Certificate presented belongs to bm.windowsonecare.com."

What does OC have to do with Windows Live anyway?

I think it is related to MS IM in some way, which I recently added and will dump as soon as I can get this machine firing on all 4 cylinders again.

How do I get one care to look at the correct URL for anti virus dictionary updates, which is what I am assuming one care is trying to do?

The message you found indicates that there was a problem reaching the servers to check for updates for your subscribed copy of OneCare. You can't access that URL via the browser, it happens within OneCare check for updates.

OneCare is in the Windows Live family - "Windows Live OneCare."

If your Internet connection is not being blocked by other security software or incorrect network settings, you should be able to check for updates. I'd suggest checking out this post for common update issues and solutions and consider doing a reinstall if all else fails:

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

-steve

ps - did you follow the instructions to repair .Net Framework?

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:39 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem after trying to uninstall onecare, i.e. when I restart the computer in anything but safe mode, the screen comes up completely black with only a frozen mouse pointer.

I have tried the OneCare cleanup tool and that has not fixed the problem.

I have verified the clock is correct.

Any suggestions other that a re-install .... sigh

John

Sunday, March 29, 2009 11:11 AM
  • I would give support a try before reinstalling. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:37 PM