none
WHS running and computers backing up but console does not work RRS feed

• Question

• My computers are being backed up nightly and I can see all the shares from the network but I connector is not working.  If I RDC into the server and try to run the console shortcut from the desktop it also does not run.   If I log into the machine with a screen and keyboard same thing .... the console does not run.  Is there a way to debug this problem?  I really want to restore one of my computers but it is almost impossible if the computer cannot be found.  Of course if I install a connector on a new machine it does not find the server and fails installation.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:49 AM

Answers

• Try these in order.  Try one at a time.

1.  Check date/time/time zone on WHS.

2. Uninstall Windows Search 4.0 from Add/Remove Programs on WHS.  Reboot.  Go to Windows Update and see if PP3 is offered.  If so, install only it and not any other offered updates.

3.  On WHS, go to C:\Program Files\WindowsHomeServer and see if you have a file named "HomeServerConsole.exe.config" and if so rename it.  Then try launching the console.

4.  If you have installed any Add-Ins, remove them from Add/Remove Programs on WHS and run the Add-In cleanup tool from http://www.asoft.be/prod_addincleanup.html paying attention to unzip the file in the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Sever\ folder.  Run it from there. Then choose the program to uninstall. This will remove the addin's Console tabs and other settings.

5.  Your most favorable option is to do a server reinstallation, but that will wipe the back-up you need.  I would do a search on how to copy the backup database and restore after a server reinstall.  This is one link I discovered, but there may be better solutions.

You might want to try the above to save your backup database before attempting a server reinstallation.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    My computers are being backed up nightly and I can see all the shares from the network but I connector is not working.  If I RDC into the server and try to run the console shortcut from the desktop it also does not run.   If I log into the machine with a screen and keyboard same thing .... the console does not run.  Is there a way to debug this problem?  I really want to restore one of my computers but it is almost impossible if the computer cannot be found.  Of course if I install a connector on a new machine it does not find the server and fails installation.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by grsmith317 Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:14 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:51 AM

All replies

• Try these in order.  Try one at a time.

1.  Check date/time/time zone on WHS.

2. Uninstall Windows Search 4.0 from Add/Remove Programs on WHS.  Reboot.  Go to Windows Update and see if PP3 is offered.  If so, install only it and not any other offered updates.

3.  On WHS, go to C:\Program Files\WindowsHomeServer and see if you have a file named "HomeServerConsole.exe.config" and if so rename it.  Then try launching the console.

4.  If you have installed any Add-Ins, remove them from Add/Remove Programs on WHS and run the Add-In cleanup tool from http://www.asoft.be/prod_addincleanup.html paying attention to unzip the file in the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Sever\ folder.  Run it from there. Then choose the program to uninstall. This will remove the addin's Console tabs and other settings.

5.  Your most favorable option is to do a server reinstallation, but that will wipe the back-up you need.  I would do a search on how to copy the backup database and restore after a server reinstall.  This is one link I discovered, but there may be better solutions.

You might want to try the above to save your backup database before attempting a server reinstallation.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    My computers are being backed up nightly and I can see all the shares from the network but I connector is not working.  If I RDC into the server and try to run the console shortcut from the desktop it also does not run.   If I log into the machine with a screen and keyboard same thing .... the console does not run.  Is there a way to debug this problem?  I really want to restore one of my computers but it is almost impossible if the computer cannot be found.  Of course if I install a connector on a new machine it does not find the server and fails installation.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by grsmith317 Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:14 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Needed to go to the last step.  All of the others either did not apply or did not fix the problem.  Since everything was working except the console and my disks were still in place, I was able to reinstall without losing my data or backups.  The server is currently installing updates and hopefully I'll be up to PP3 later tonight.  At that point I hope to restore my laptop from one of the backups.  Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:17 AM