XP Professional CD Key won't work. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I got a CD key for XP SP3 Professional to use, but whenever I type it in, it says it's incorrect. I got the key for free as a student from here...

http://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/ProductsByMajorVersionList.aspx?ws=cbd5fa17-ab8b-e011-969d-0030487d8897&vsro=8&JSEnabled=1

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:46 AM

Answers

• It's all fixed now, I downloaded the CD from MSDN this time instead of using the disc that I got from a friends, apparently the CD key will only work with that downloaded version, thanks for your time!
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:32 AM

All replies

• "Kanlor" wrote in message news:5559c7c7-4cff-4f11-b87a-ac08e45100a2...

Hey,

I got a CD key for XP SP3 Professional to use, but whenever I type it in, it says it's incorrect. I got the key for free as a student from here...

Thanks!

I can't comment on the source (although Darin may be able to), but most MSDNAA Keys are Upgrades - which means that you need a pre-existing installation of Windows to be able to install it.
    Please check the invoice and/or email in which your Key came and confirm that you satisfy any requirements in it.
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Hey,

http://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/ProductsByMajorVersionList.aspx?ws=cbd5fa17-ab8b-e011-969d-0030487d8897&vsro=8&JSEnabled=1

Thanks!

Request Customer Support

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Thanks, I've tried to send them messages but they don't reply back to me. (It's been a month now since I sent the second e-mail) Thanks for helping anyway, I guess ill just go buy a version of XP then.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:34 PM
  • It's all fixed now, I downloaded the CD from MSDN this time instead of using the disc that I got from a friends, apparently the CD key will only work with that downloaded version, thanks for your time!
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:32 AM
  • "Kanlor" wrote in message news:f6457dc2-56b4-4edf-a79d-b91f3706ce2b...
    It's all fixed now, I downloaded the CD from MSDN this time instead of using the disc that I got from a friends, apparently the CD key will only work with that downloaded version, thanks for your time!

Very strange - MSDN Keys are (or at least were, when I was a member)  Retail Full installation . MSDNAA are usually Volume License, and upgrade.
    Please post an MGADiag report - it'll how what's happening.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Apparently, the OP used an OEM Windows XP CD.  A MSDN Windows XP retail product key will not be accepted with an OEM CD upon initial installation.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:44 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:611ec35f-9e47-4824-af85-b775a86d230c...
    Apparently, the OP used an OEM Windows XP CD.  A MSDN Windows XP retail product key will not be accepted with an OEM CD upon initial installation.
    Carey Frisch

Carey - it was an MSDNAA Key he was using, not an OEM Key - look at his link!

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:11 PM
  • It really is irrelevent since a MSDNAA product key will not work with a Windows XP OEM disc.

Carey Frisch
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:58 PM