WHS Storage Manager Limit? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, everyone! I have done key searches on the net and in this forum but have yet to find definitive answer to my problem. What is the total number of hard drives allowed by WHS? Currently I have 28 drives installed and have less than 1 Tb left. I would like to add more storage room but when I do WHS chokes up. The storage manager hangs for each of the 8 additional hard drives I install. Once I remove them WHS starts working fine. Is there a limit, if so is there a fix? Thank you in advance...
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 8:16 AM

All replies

• I can't find anything officially documented using google... but looking at this site below it seems to indicate that you can succesfully run 32 drives:

http://www.servethehome.com/testing-the-limits-of-whs-37-drives-fail/

I also searched using the terms WHS 32 drive limit, and got a few hits...

So really I guess the biggest array you could have with WHS V1 is 64tb (minus the space used up by the system partition on disk 0)  If you are currently using drives less than 2tb in size, it might be time to start upgrading drives one at a time.

Monday, May 2, 2011 6:05 PM
  • activoice, thanks for the info! WHS v1-PP3 on my end seems to max out @ 28 physical storage drives. I also have two USB back-up drives that populate WHS for a total of 30 disks. Without success I have tried three different storage cards, each from a different vendor, even reducing the number of populated disks on the storage cards one-by-one. I receive the same “error” that’s shown in the link you provided. From what I have gathered I think Vail is limited @ 32 physical disks. Besides it will take me another 2 years or so to populate another 20Tb. By that time who know's how WHS might develop.

I’ve taken your advice and have already begun upgrading smaller volume disks with larger ones. Thanks again for your help it's appreciated!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:24 PM