Connector won't work with WHS firewall enabled RRS feed

• Question

•  

I noticed while using Remote Destop my WHS firewall was off.  I checked these forums and found that it should be on...so I turned it on.  BAM!  Couldn't connect with WHS Connector nor Remote Desktop.  Rebooted router then could connect with RDP but not Connector.  Finally turned off WHS firewall and now everything is back the way it was...working.

What's up with this?

My router has the firewall enabled, BTW.

Friday, February 1, 2008 3:59 AM

Answers

• In your firewall the following ports should be allowed:

File and Printer Sharing:

UPD 137, 138

TCP 139, 445

HTTP:

TCP 80, 55000

HTTPS:

TCP 56000

Remote Desktop:

TCP 3389

UpNP Framework:

UDP 1900

TCP 2869

Windows Home Server Transport Service:

TCP 1138

Windows Media Connect:

UDP 10280, 10281,10282,10283, 10284

TCP 10243

Programs allowed:

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe

SCOPE is local subnet only for all rules above.

Hope this helps!

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:24 AM

All replies

• In your firewall the following ports should be allowed:

File and Printer Sharing:

UPD 137, 138

TCP 139, 445

HTTP:

TCP 80, 55000

HTTPS:

TCP 56000

Remote Desktop:

TCP 3389

UpNP Framework:

UDP 1900

TCP 2869

Windows Home Server Transport Service:

TCP 1138

Windows Media Connect:

UDP 10280, 10281,10282,10283, 10284

TCP 10243

Programs allowed:

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe

SCOPE is local subnet only for all rules above.

Hope this helps!

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:24 AM
  • legierk, did brubber's post answer your question?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Ken,

No, because even with all those ports open I cannot connect via Connector.  Additionally, it's a hassle to troubleshoot because I have to hook a monitor up to WHS if I turn the firewall on.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:51 PM
  • I hear you on the hassle, but aren't you at least able to connect for troubleshooting using remote desktop?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:18 PM
  • I just tried it and yes, I can connect via Remote Desktop.  Connector still won't work though.  How do I troubleshoot?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Have you installed and run the Windows Home Server Toolkit on one of the PCs having issues?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Ken,

That did it.  I actually went back and followed all the steps in this string.......

I'm still getting 3 errors on the connector troubleshooter:

1) 2.1 Locate Server by UPnP protocol

2) 3.1 Resolve Server Name

3) 3.3 Ping Server by IP from UPnP

I should mention that I added the program Windows Home Server Connector to the above list, whether need or not.  Also, I noticed that (without my input) the HTTP was set to Anybody (or everyone or whatever it says).  I left it that way.  SHould I really change everything to my local network only like brubber says?  won't that restrict me from accessing my server remotely (outside the home)?

The big news is that my firewall is on and Connector works!  Maybe now I can use WIndows Media Connect?  Haven't been able to up to this point....

Thank you both for all your help.....

OT, but...

I do check the Event Viewer in WHS every once in awhile.  I seem to get the same errors everyday....mostly involving printers.....

Lately here are a few....

Perflib - Terminal Service and trusted performance library not in registry or something or other

Windows Search Service - various documents "in the hash map" cannot be updated or something...I figure this may be because I was actually working on a doument....

Thanks again.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:23 AM
  • The errors you're seeing in Event Viewer are all harmless. The ones about printers are because the default configuraiton for the terminal services client is to share your local printers (on your client PC) to the remote PC you're connecting to (your WHS) so you can print locally from the remote session. The problem is that you don't have drivers for those printers installed on oyur server, so you get an error.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:27 AM