Money 2002 installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed Money 2002 on a new computer w/ windows 7 professional and it is asking for a password, which I have never had.  I 1st installed it on a 64 bit version of windows 7 and a password was not asked for, but then changed to a 32 bit version due to other problems, and now am being asked for a password.  How can I open Money?  I previously had XP pro and had no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have years of history stored.

Thanks.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:41 PM

All replies

• When Money 2002 running on 32-bit Windows asks for a password, it is probably trying to open a Money data file that was produced by a version of Money newer than 2002.

Look to see if you have a *.m10 file. That would be a copy of your Money 2002 *.mny file before the *.mny file was converted to a newer version.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:47 PM
  • That worked, I got a version from a couple of months ago, which is when this new computer was 1st set up, however, when I click on up-date prices on-line, I get an error message that Money has stopped working and will re-start.  When it re-starts, prices have updated, but this happens  every time I click up-date.  Also still have the version asking for a password, do I just un-install that program?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:05 PM
  • I am thinking "that" was to use the Money *.m10 file, and keeping Money 2002 installed. If that is not the case, say so.

Money 2002 may not work properly with a 64-bit version of windows. In that case, you can install the latest version for your country. See the first thread on this forum for that. Money Plus Sunset will not get prices directly. Are you in the UK?

If you are being asked for a password but you successfully get into the file, that would indicate you have a password on that file and that you know that password. All versions can remove a conventional password. Money Plus (for North America) can remove a Passport/LiveID.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Correct, I left Money 2002 installed and opened the *.m10file, which did not require a password, but crashed when I tried to update prices.  When I open via the Money2002 icon, it askes for a password.  I am in the US using MS Money 2002 standard.
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:27 PM