How to add second server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an original WHS built on a now six-year old PC with the OEM version + SP1.  Works fine.  I bought an OEM WHS box and would like to add that to the network as a second WHS.

Can get one set of Connector software to work with two servers, or do I have to have two versions of Connectgor working on each client PC?

What's the best approach to doing a gradual migration from old WHS to new WHS?

Peter
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:01 PM

Answers

• A client PC can only be joined to one server at a time, so no, you can't get one set of connector software to work with two servers at once.

In general, I would say the best course of action is to connect one client PC to your new server so you can finish setting it up, copy everything in the shares from the old to the new server, and then just join all your clients to the new server. You could leave some PCs joined to the old server if you want; it won't hurt anything. And you might find that you have to shut down the old server to get a PC to find the new server; that's really a networking issue, not a Windows Home Server problem per se.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:18 PM

All replies

• A client PC can only be joined to one server at a time, so no, you can't get one set of connector software to work with two servers at once.

In general, I would say the best course of action is to connect one client PC to your new server so you can finish setting it up, copy everything in the shares from the old to the new server, and then just join all your clients to the new server. You could leave some PCs joined to the old server if you want; it won't hurt anything. And you might find that you have to shut down the old server to get a PC to find the new server; that's really a networking issue, not a Windows Home Server problem per se.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.  That's exactly the advice I could not find by doing searches.  Thanks.   Peter
    Peter
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:11 PM