Using Norton Ghost 15 with Windows 7

Question

• Hi,
    I bought the student version of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade (x64) for $30.
    This has been running perfectly on my system, but my hard drive is a Western Digital Green (5400-7200RPM) drive.
    I wanted to switch to a WD Black drive (7200RPM) since it's faster.
    I used Norton Ghost 15 to do a drive copy from the old one to the new one.
    The new drive boots up, and lets me log in.
    Upon logging in, the desktgop is light blue, and it says in the lower right hand corner:

Windows 7
    Build 7600
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

I get no UI, since explorer.exe is not running. I can launch it manually from the task manager, but I still cannot get to the point to re-activate it using my valid key.
    Control Panel, slui.exe 4 don't work.
    Control Panel gives an error message "explorer.exe no such interface supported"
    slui.exe 4 doesn't launch. I hit enter and it appears to do nothing.

What's worse, I needed to run startup repair on the drive that previously WORKED.
    For now, the Green drive works but whenever I boot into the black one it gives me a temporary user file because my copy has been deemed invalid.

*I also tried running the MGA Diagnostic tool, but I can't even get to the drive to run it.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:07 AM

Answers

• I just spoke to Symantec's customer support and after explaining the lack of functionality of Ghost 15, received a refund of my purchase price.

Some small satisfaction - would have preferred that it worked.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:36 AM

All replies

• I had exactly the same problem - needed to copy the pagefile.sys from the working boot drive to the one that would not boot - then run the repair again on the non functioning drive and you should be OK. 

You need to go into the folder options and be sure the "Hide protected system files" is unchecked in order to copy the pagefile.sys file.

Let me know.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:27 AM
  • I'll try that, thanks for the reply. Will respond most likely tomorrow.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:28 AM
  • The other more productive and safe method of transferring your Windows 7 and all the partitions on the old drive is to use "Backup and Restore" to create a System Image on another hard drive which can be used to restore the original drive onto your new hard drive. 

Go to  "search programs and files" and type in Backup and Restore - click on the result and follow the directions including making a "Repair Disc Windows 7" at the end - unless you already have one.  

Booting from that disc (with your system image drive and your clean unallocated drive installed) will allow you to select and restore your files to the new hard drive.

I find Ghost 15 seriously lacking the ability to clone Windows 7 in its current configuation. 

I used to use Ghost 14 with Windows XP and could make all the cloned copied of my system drive I needed just for security, not so with Windows 7 and Ghost 15.
    • Proposed as answer by KnightDaemon Friday, August 06, 2010 2:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:10 AM
  • I tried the thing with the pagefile and it didn't do anything. The pagefile is only the virtual memory anyway, right?
    I will attempt the backup and restore option - I saw that in the "repair my computer" section on the install disc.
    Ghost 2003 boots up outside of the operating system - I don't think Win7 likes to be shadow-copied.
    (At my school, we use Ghost 2003 for the student laptop images)

I'm doing the backup now - WOW it runs fast.

I'll get back to you on how it works. Thank You for all your help.

~Kemi
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Where are you?  It is late here in California - 1:00 AM.

I have made one System Image copy and restored all my files to the hard drives - all worked pefectly first try - it is the way to go.
    • Marked as answer by Kemi337 Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:00 AM
  • That should have said "to three hard drives and . . ."
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:01 AM
  • I'm in NY. Yeah. 4 AM gets fun. Anyway, the system backup and restore worked perfectly. Don't know why Ghost has a problem doing it but it doesn't really matter now.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:32 PM
  • I just spoke to Symantec's customer support and after explaining the lack of functionality of Ghost 15, received a refund of my purchase price.

Some small satisfaction - would have preferred that it worked.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:36 AM
  • That's cool. I should try that too.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:59 AM

•   This issue would have stumped me, so thanks to Dick Kapash for taking the time to help out!

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by bertmace26 Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:46 PM
    Owner
  • Your windows discovered changes in your machine and need to be activated.

insert the original activation id or use windows 7 crack.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Your windows discovered changes in your machine and need to be activated.

insert the original activation id or use windows 7 crack.

dont do that
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:41 PM
  • So your advice is don't use Norton 15 .!!

Here in the UK British Telecom have stopped using Norton tools in preference to Mc Afee

Could that be because their stuff does not work as well as it should ?

Their Liveupdate is faulty - not good if you need Virus updates !!

Thank You

Dómnal

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Windows Image has been failing for me for the last week.  It stopped working around August 2010 as far as I can tell.  I have read all I can to troubleshoot the issue, but cannot fix.  I bought Ghost 15 last week online from Symantec for ~$90, a new WD HD ~$80, and got a good drive to drive copy (Time), but I get the error:

Windows 7

Build 7600
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

I need to work, not run an obstacle course.  Arr. 

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:45 AM
  • "themagics" wrote in message news:811122ea-d91d-44d3-a54e-d8960e164d19...

Windows Image has been failing for me for the last week.  It stopped working around August 2010 as far as I can tell.  I have read all I can to troubleshoot the issue, but cannot fix.  I bought Ghost 15 last week online from Symantec for ~$90, a new WD HD ~$80, and got a good drive to drive copy (Time), but I get the error:

Windows 7

Build 7600
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

I need to work, not run an obstacle course.  Arr. 

Please repost your problem in your OWN, NEW thread - and include an MGADiag report.
    When you imaged, did you image BOTH partitions (Win7 by default also creates a small boot partition ~100Mb on installation to a clean drive)

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:21 AM
  • <Locked to discourage posting in a 2 year old thread>

Darin MS
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:49 PM
    Owner