Accidently started New Installation, Not a Resinstall. Now What? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry for the long post, I'm really hoping someone can help!

I accidentally started a New Installation instead of a Server Reinstall.  I did this by folishly creating a USB installer with a qs.ini file.  I realized my mistake a few moments into the install process as the status said that it was formatting the system drive, without ever asking me if I wanted to do a Reinstall or not.  I powered down the WHS right then and there.

Now I have pulled my data drives from my WHS, and looked at them in another PC using GParted.  GParted reports that there are no partitions, but I'm dubious, as I don't think enough time actually passed to physically delete my data off of the data drives, I think the MBR was just wiped or something.

Am I right?  Is the data still on my data drives, or am have I completely lost all of my data?

I know my System drive is hosed, but that's fine as long as my data still exists on my Data drives.

Please reply with any advice or ideas about actually seeing if my data exists!
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:25 AM

Answers

I accidentally started a New Installation instead of a Server Reinstall.  I did this by folishly creating a USB installer with a qs.ini file.  I realized my mistake a few moments into the install process as the status said that it was formatting the system drive, without ever asking me if I wanted to do a Reinstall or not.  I powered down the WHS right then and there.

Now I have pulled my data drives from my WHS, and looked at them in another PC using GParted.  GParted reports that there are no partitions, but I'm dubious, as I don't think enough time actually passed to physically delete my data off of the data drives, I think the MBR was just wiped or something.

Am I right?  Is the data still on my data drives, or am have I completely lost all of my data?

I know my System drive is hosed, but that's fine as long as my data still exists on my Data drives.

You will probably have to look at data recovery (either a professional service or a DIY app).  Even then, there are no guarantees.  Did you ever backup your shares to an external drive?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:28 AM

All replies

You will probably have to look at data recovery (either a professional service or a DIY app).  Even then, there are no guarantees.  Did you ever backup your shares to an external drive?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  I now feel a little better, and think that I was correct in assuming that WHS Setup didn't actually delete anything from my Data drives.  I'm currently running GetDataBack for NTFS on one of my Data drives (a 1.5TB drive so it'll take a while!) and it looks like the files are all there.

I'm not out of the woods until I actually have recovered the data, but at least my wife has temporarily halted her plans for murdering me... :)

And no, I wasn't backing up my shares to an external drive.  I think I'll start backing up the important stuff (Photos mostly) to the cloud.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Without backing up to one or more external drives anything, which hits your home server can destroy your data. Maybe an overvoltage, which toasts all disks together, maybe water or fire disaster, maybe theft. So having a backup external (also offsite) is always better.
    The problems I see with backups to the "cloud" are the limited bandwidth, the limited storage space (pictures always only tend to grow, my own fotos are about 60 GB now) and the limited warranty, that nothing bad happens to the provider.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that I managed to recover everything using GetDataBack for NTFS.  I'm sure there are other tools that can do this, but I'd used this before and already had a license...

The only tricky part was figuring out a way to juggle available disk space as I recovered data from my old DATA disks to the new WHS storage pool, then adding that DATA disk to the storage pool, and moving on to the next DATA disk for recovery.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:00 PM