canceling the only way? RRS feed

• Question

• i want to remove my billing information with microsoft for OneCare, i forgot about it last time and was automatically bill for another year, that's ok i loved Onecare i was just poor at the time and still am at the moment, so the only way i can find is to cancel my OneCare account? my current account run out in march 2010, do i get too keep running OneCare with full updates after i cancel?

i worry about being billed automatically again, but i want too run the service i paid for, and don't want to have to remember to do it in the last week, please help.

OneCare is discontinuing? so they won't bill me in MAR/2010 anyway?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since One Care service is scheduled to end in December 2010 your subscription will not be renewed in March. See this post for more information - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/1a3a599b-51c6-455a-9e83-ee7cc4d08653
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:37 PM
  • aye thanks, i worry bout my billing information alittle still, so i'll wait till my onecare sub' is over too cancel billing info just in case. as i love the program, the only security program that ran quietly in the background for me. shame it's going.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Note that the link Jim provided above also includes information about the new Microsoft Security Essentials, which will become available later this year and is designed to replace Onecare.

MSE will be free, but only contains anti-malware, no backup, firewall, hub or other features.  Since most were only using the malware protection anyway, this might be enough for your purposes and not cost you anything.

Though no official release date has been anounced, the MSE final version should be available later this year, probably around the time Windows 7 is released in late October.  This would give you several months to uninstall OneCare, install MSE and confirm that it will provide what you require before your subscription to OneCare ends.

Rob
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:03 PM