Can you recover deleted shared files? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've had my WHS running a few days. In trying to reorganize the "Photos" shared folder, I accidentally deleted about 50 GB, or 2 years of photos. I've spent about 3 hours searching this fourm, and what little information that came with my OEM WHS software, but can't seem to figure out how or if it is possible to recover these deleted files. I do have duplication turned on. I have 4 HDD's installed.

Here is how it happened,

I created a new folder called "Negatives" inside the shared "Photos" folder.

I tried to move all the other folders (hundreds and hundreds of them) inside the new "Negatives" folder.

I saw WHS report that this would take 6 days to complete, so I canceled the move.

After the cancel had completed, I found that 50 GB's of data had moved, but then I deleted this new folder, thinking the files were copied not moved. (brain fade)

Thanks if you can help.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:19 PM

Answers

•  Jeff whs user wrote:
    I've had my WHS running a few days. In trying to reorganize the "Photos" shared folder, I accidentally deleted about 50 GB, or 2 years of photos. I've spent about 3 hours searching this fourm, and what little information that came with my OEM WHS software, but can't seem to figure out how or if it is possible to recover these deleted files. I do have duplication turned on. I have 4 HDD's installed.

Here is how it happened,

I tried to move all the other folders (hundreds and hundreds of them) inside the new "Negatives" folder.

I saw WHS report that this would take 6 days to complete, so I canceled the move.

After the cancel had completed, I found that 50 GB's of data had moved, but then I deleted this new folder, thinking the files were copied not moved. (brain fade)

Thanks if you can help.

You MIGHT be able to recover them through Shadow Copies (works great to roll back to a previous version of a file, not sure how well it works with deleted files).  From another computer (not WHS), right click on the Photos share.  There should be a tab that says Previous Versions.  Click on that.  At that point, you should be able to select a folder with a previous date on it.  Try viewing it.  If your pics are there, go back a screen and select Copy.  Copy it to your local hard drive (not the server).  Open the folder to make sure all of them are there.

If that doesn't work, the only option left would be to try to recover the files through some sort of data recovery process (either a professional company or DIY software).  If you go that route, turn off your server AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and don't use it any more until you recover as much as you can....

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:27 PM
  •  Jeff whs user wrote:
    Thanks for the answers and trying to help me out.

I tried right clicking on the "Photos" folder from the WHS console on one of my other machines, then selected "View History...". I got this report back:

History Not Available

There is not enough historical data to display the shared folder history. A minimum of one week's history is required. Please try again later.

No, not the console.  From the actual share itself.  Open the Shared Folders on Server icon on one of your client computers.  Then right click on Photos.  You should see a tab that says Previous Versions.

Jeff whs user wrote:
    Would this feature work to recover these files, had I been using this for at least a week?

No, that is not used for this purpose.

Jeff whs user wrote:
    Which of the 4 drives would I remove to try and recover from, using a 3rd party tool? I sure don't want to lose any more stuff.

Thanks again.

If Shadow Copies doesn't work (and my guess is it won't get all of them back, if any at all),  I would pull all 4 drives and go through them one at a time....

EDIT:  If the Shadow Copies doesn't give you all of your pictures, I would strongly suggest you turn your server off immediately (the more it balances, the more likely it will overwrite your pictures).

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  Jeff whs user wrote:

Wow, I must have more brain fade today than usual,

I can't find any dialog that has tabs, when I right click the shared "Photos" folder. I get the usual, Open, Explore, Search..., Map Network Drive, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Properties. (context menu) Using a Windows XP machine, and the same with a Vista Home Basic machine.

I'm sorry, right click on it, then click Properties.  My bad...  (I guess I'm typing faster than I'm thinking Smile  )

My biggest concern is leaving it on (since it likes to balance A LOT and every time it does stuff like that lessens your chances of recovery using a software solution).

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:12 PM

All replies

•  Jeff whs user wrote:

Here is how it happened,

Thanks if you can help.

You MIGHT be able to recover them through Shadow Copies (works great to roll back to a previous version of a file, not sure how well it works with deleted files).  From another computer (not WHS), right click on the Photos share.  There should be a tab that says Previous Versions.  Click on that.  At that point, you should be able to select a folder with a previous date on it.  Try viewing it.  If your pics are there, go back a screen and select Copy.  Copy it to your local hard drive (not the server).  Open the folder to make sure all of them are there.

If that doesn't work, the only option left would be to try to recover the files through some sort of data recovery process (either a professional company or DIY software).  If you go that route, turn off your server AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and don't use it any more until you recover as much as you can....

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:27 PM
  • If you can't see them in Shadow Copies and Duplication wasn't enabled, you would need to shut down WHS, remove the drive and install it in another computer as an extra. Using something like DiskInternals Uneraser or similar, may be your only option. There are quite a few similar tools, most of them with a free trial, so it would be worth while trying them.

Colin

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:33 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

If you can't see them in Shadow Copies and Duplication wasn't enabled, you would need to shut down WHS, remove the drive and install it in another computer as an extra. Using something like DiskInternals Uneraser or similar, may be your only option. There are quite a few similar tools, most of them with a free trial, so it would be worth while trying them.

Colin

Actually, in this case, it doesn't matter whether duplication was on or not (all instances of where the file is will be marked as free space now).

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Thanks for the answers and trying to help me out. Smile

I tried right clicking on the "Photos" folder from the WHS console on one of my other machines, then selected "View History...". I got this report back:

History Not Available

There is not enough historical data to display the shared folder history. A minimum of one week's history is required. Please try again later.

Would this feature work to recover these files, had I been using this for at least a week?

Which of the 4 drives would I remove to try and recover from, using a 3rd party tool? I sure don't want to lose any more stuff.

Thanks again.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:55 PM
  •  Jeff whs user wrote:
    Thanks for the answers and trying to help me out.

History Not Available

No, not the console.  From the actual share itself.  Open the Shared Folders on Server icon on one of your client computers.  Then right click on Photos.  You should see a tab that says Previous Versions.

Jeff whs user wrote:

No, that is not used for this purpose.

Jeff whs user wrote:

Thanks again.

If Shadow Copies doesn't work (and my guess is it won't get all of them back, if any at all),  I would pull all 4 drives and go through them one at a time....

EDIT:  If the Shadow Copies doesn't give you all of your pictures, I would strongly suggest you turn your server off immediately (the more it balances, the more likely it will overwrite your pictures).

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Wow, I must have more brain fade today than usual,

I can't find any dialog that has tabs, when I right click the shared "Photos" folder. I get the usual, Open, Explore, Search..., Map Network Drive, Cut, Copy, Create Shortcut, Properties. (context menu) Using a Windows XP machine, and the same with a Vista Home Basic machine.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  Jeff whs user wrote:

Wow, I must have more brain fade today than usual,

I'm sorry, right click on it, then click Properties.  My bad...  (I guess I'm typing faster than I'm thinking Smile  )

My biggest concern is leaving it on (since it likes to balance A LOT and every time it does stuff like that lessens your chances of recovery using a software solution).

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:12 PM
  • That seems to be working! I'll know in a few hours if they all came back or not.

I'll report back either way when it's all done.

Thank you !!!

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:20 PM
  •  Jeff whs user wrote:
    That seems to be working! I'll know in a few hours if they all came back or not.

I'll report back either way when it's all done.

Thank you !!!

You're welcome!

One more suggestion though:  As soon as it's done copying, I would still recommend shutting down the server while you check your local copy of the photos (just to make sure it doesn't balance any more than is necessary).  Once you are sure you have everything, then turn it back on.  Otherwise, you'll need to start pulling drives....

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:28 PM
  • This copy from "previous versions" worked 100% in this case!  I got all the files back, with my most recent changes still in tact. I used the most recent "version" as the older "versions" failed to work.

Thank you all again, and I ended up marking 3 as the answer, because it took all three to get me to the right place. (my fault but just incase someone else needs to find it..)

Saturday, November 3, 2007 10:07 PM
  •  Jeff whs user wrote:
    This copy from "previous versions" worked 100% in this case!  I got all the files back, with my most recent changes still in tact. I used the most recent "version" as the older "versions" failed to work.

Thank you all again, and I ended up marking 3 as the answer, because it took all three to get me to the right place. (my fault but just incase someone else needs to find it..)

Good I'm glad to hear everything worked out!  (Gotta love Shadow Copies Smile  )

Sunday, November 4, 2007 3:38 AM
  • BTW i just accessed this thread after googling 'recover deleted file network windows home server' - just delted two key photos - and it worked perfectly.. great tip thanks!!!  and GREAT feature in WHS.. KEY!

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Please note that Previous Versions/Shadow Copies on Windows Home Server are buggy and should not be relied on.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Alarmed by this post I tried to restore a directory on my HP Media Centre with power pack 1 from the shadow copy.

When trying to restore a directory I got the message

"Cannot copy (local) -2: The device is not connected"

This is very upsetting because I have been using this a backup mechanism for my important files! I moved them from my desktop PC onto the share so I could access them remotely. If I had left them on my desktop they would have been backed up nightly!

What progress has there been towards fixing this bug?
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:01 PM
  • xJamesB said:

Alarmed by this post I tried to restore a directory on my HP Media Centre with power pack 1 from the shadow copy.

When trying to restore a directory I got the message

"Cannot copy (local) -2: The device is not connected"

This is very upsetting because I have been using this a backup mechanism for my important files! I moved them from my desktop PC onto the share so I could access them remotely. If I had left them on my desktop they would have been backed up nightly!

What progress has there been towards fixing this bug?

While it's not a "fix", there is currently a workaround which can be found here.  NOTE:  This method is completely unsupported by MS and HP, so use at your own risk.  Having said that, I have been using a semi-automated version of this workaround for a couple months on my OEM and it's worked fine for me so far.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:23 AM
  • This is an old forum but it is what I came across when I was looking for info on restoring deleted files from my shared folder on WHS. My problem was that I had all backups and duplications turned off, so restoring to previous version option with shadow copy was not an option. So I am just giving my solution that I figured out. I havent seen it posted otherwise. I used Windows Home Sever Desktop and a third party data recovery program (Ontrack Easy Recovery professional ver6.1). Access the command prompt option in the toolkit 1.1 in the Home Server Console under settings. Once the command prompt is open type "explorer" . Once this is done you will see the Windows Home Sever Desktop. Locate your 3rd party software through the folders. Install it on your WHS. Run your data recovery software.Using Ontrack in my case  the advanced recovery option, I was able to view all the partitions seeing my 2-500gb and 2-1tb harddrives. Then search through the folders until I found the shared folder where I had deleted my files. I simply used the 3rd party software to recovery the files to another shared folder and I was back in business. Hope this help someone that turned off their back-up option with WHS
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:10 AM
  • ...and getting older by the day but helpful to me.

Thx Mr, those steps worked here.  All 1.4 tera recovered of what was 4 tera. Wheew

tb

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:46 AM