Is Live Mesh Mobile one-way? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a folder in my mesh which is synchronized between my Mesh Desktop, my Mac, my Windows laptop, and my Windows Mobile phone.  The folder only has a couple of files in it.  I updated one of the files on my Mac yesterday, and the change has propagated everywhere, except to my phone.  I've clicked Sync Live Mesh on my phone many times, and if the status bar at the bottom is to be believed, it's only looking for local changes.  I was expecting the sync to be two ways, but it looks like it's one way.

Thanks,
    Rick

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Rick,

The files should sync to your phone - though, of course, you need to have enough memory available on the phone.  Can you please provide additional specifics about where you're syncing the folder (phone memory or storage card), and how much memory is available in that location (both in MB and % of total memory - the latter because we have a requirement that you have at least 10% free memory for sync to happen)?  If memory is not an issue, this sounds like a bug, and we'll need to have you gather logs (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of this forum) so that we can take a look.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick Lobrecht Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Rick,

The files should sync to your phone - though, of course, you need to have enough memory available on the phone.  Can you please provide additional specifics about where you're syncing the folder (phone memory or storage card), and how much memory is available in that location (both in MB and % of total memory - the latter because we have a requirement that you have at least 10% free memory for sync to happen)?  If memory is not an issue, this sounds like a bug, and we'll need to have you gather logs (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of this forum) so that we can take a look.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick Lobrecht Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I'm syncing to the internal memory.  The file is 117K (and an older version is already there.)  I have 3.21MB out of 44.77 MB free.  I'll try to clear up a meg to get above that 10% mark, and try again.

Rick

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:17 PM
  • I cleared some space, and it's now syncing.  Any chance you could inform the user that you aren't syncing because of low storage space?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Rick Lobrecht said:

I cleared some space, and it's now syncing.  Any chance you could inform the user that you aren't syncing because of low storage space?

Hi Rick,

I'm glad that worked out.  We are, in fact, working on improving (or in this case, providing one in the first place) messages to customers about this, and other, errors.  In the meantime, we apologize for the confusion this generated.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

In the meantime, we apologize for the confusion this generated.

No problem.  Thanks for the quick responses.

Rick

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.  I was having the same "one-way" issue do low memory.  Being able to adjust the % down to something less than 10% would be nice.  I have a 8GB card with 700MB free, low memory was the last thing I would have guessed was the issue.

Dave
    Friday, December 19, 2008 1:12 AM