OneCare Restore won't show my USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• I did a backup using Windows Live  OneCare. My disk drive failed and has been replaced. I want to do a full restore from the backup. OneCare is end-of-life, so I down-loaded OneCareRestore. When I select "local restore", the only backup device it shows is the DVD drive. Even though I have a backup on a Seagate USB drive which is attached. I can browse the drive in explorer, so I know it's connected. I tried removing and re adding the drive. I tried hitting refresh many times. No avail. How can I get restore to recognize the drive?

I'm running Vista version 6 SP2 (64 bit).
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:27 PM

Answers

• The restore tool is basically OneCare minus all other functionality. So, you don't perform a local restore, but a custom restore from another computer.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

Click Custom Restore.

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

Click Restore files from backup of another machine.

Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

Click Restore files.

Click Finish.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:33 PM

All replies

• I've not uesd the One Care restore tool but if there is a source option other than local restore that may be where you want to start.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:51 PM

• The restore tool is basically OneCare minus all other functionality. So, you don't perform a local restore, but a custom restore from another computer.

Restore files from a backup

If your computer goes through a hardware failure or if some of your files are deleted from your computer and you've backed up your files, you can restore the files to your computer from a previous backup. If you're using a hub PC, you can restore backup files from any computer in your OneCare circle. You can choose which files to restore and which backup to restore the files from.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

Click Custom Restore.

Restore files that were backed up from another computer.

Click Restore files from backup of another machine.

Click the backup that you want to restore files from.

Click Restore files.

Click Finish.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:33 PM