LCS 2005 SP1 migration to OCS 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All -

I am working through a migration from LCS sp1 to OCS r2. My question is dealing with DNS. Do I need to add the  SRV records for the new OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise Pool ? How do clients get redirected otherwise ?

thanks !
    -JayZ
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

• You can't configure DNS SRV records for both pools as the OC clients will only attempt connections to the first SRV record they resolve.  In migration coexistence scenarios I typically use Manual Configuration (with GPO or some other automated way to push out the server settings) with one set of users until all are legacy accounts are migrated over, then update the SRV record.

For example configure a handful of OCS R2 pilot users to manually point to the new server/poll, and then schedule a time to move all LCS users over to the OCS pool.  Update the SRV records so that LCS clients will now connect to the new server; don't configure Enhanced Presence for those users until the time that the clients will be upgraded from LCS to OCS R2.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by ZPoint2010 Friday, April 17, 2009 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• You can't configure DNS SRV records for both pools as the OC clients will only attempt connections to the first SRV record they resolve.  In migration coexistence scenarios I typically use Manual Configuration (with GPO or some other automated way to push out the server settings) with one set of users until all are legacy accounts are migrated over, then update the SRV record.

For example configure a handful of OCS R2 pilot users to manually point to the new server/poll, and then schedule a time to move all LCS users over to the OCS pool.  Update the SRV records so that LCS clients will now connect to the new server; don't configure Enhanced Presence for those users until the time that the clients will be upgraded from LCS to OCS R2.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by ZPoint2010 Friday, April 17, 2009 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Great...thanks for the insight Jeff. 

Regarding certificates , here is my query.

1. My pool name is CompanyOCS.corp.local
    2. My server name (only one currently) is OCSFE1.corp.local
    3. The SIP name I currently use is kinfisher.company.com
    4. The SIP name I would like to use is sip.company.com for all internal and external users.

My thought is I would need to create a DNS entry + SRV record as you pointed for sip.company.com.
    - And the certificated I would need would have the Subject Name : CompanyOCS.corp.local
    - And have the following subject alternative names.
    - sip.company.com
    - CompanyOCS.corp.local
    - OCSFE1.corp.local
    - OCSFE2.corpl.local

Am I thinking correctly ? Can I get this kinf os a certficate (with corp.local) from godaddy ? 

Any insight will be appreciated..

thanks !

Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:37 PM