about MHS install and pc conectors RRS feed

• Question

• hello all ,
    i downloaded the WHS from mmicrosoft - to see if i can buy it and i wanted to install it ..

i installed a VMware and on in i installed 2 virutal machines  - 1. XP PRO SP3 2.WHS
    everything worked ok ... but when i get the welocme screen ( for the last server setup ) i can't seem to finish the installation ...
    when i abourt the installaion and setup my server manually i got the server to be UP -for LAN users .
    my problems are :
    1.the first setup always fail and when i restart my server it again fail  .
    2.when i try to install the CONNECTOR from the CD  on one of my PC it search for my server ( that is called " server") and it fail .
    and when i look on my server i see that the pc's that i installed the connector are there but the are seepling or log off.
    3.i can't install the power pack 1 beacuse  of problem no' 1
    note :
    i only have the evaloaion version ( 30 days ) and i really want to get my server up and running ... and i really need help

i have a lot of problems with the comunication ... ( i have a router at home ..., and i can't seem to be able to log on to the server from the internet ) something about UPnP - cn someone explain it ?

thanks a lot
    for all your help
    ok103
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• ok103 said:

hello all ,
    i downloaded the WHS from mmicrosoft - to see if i can buy it and i wanted to install it ..

i installed a VMware and on in i installed 2 virutal machines  - 1. XP PRO SP3 2.WHS
    everything worked ok ... but when i get the welocme screen ( for the last server setup ) i can't seem to finish the installation ...

Did you leave the WHS DVD in the drive the entire time (until you see the WHS Welcome screen)?

ok103 said:

when i abourt the installaion and setup my server manually i got the server to be UP -for LAN users .
    my problems are :
    1.the first setup always fail and when i restart my server it again fail  .

What exactly does it say?  Please give the specific error message you receive (if any).

ok103 said: 2.when i try to install the CONNECTOR from the CD  on one of my PC it search for my server ( that is called " server") and it fail .
    and when i look on my server i see that the pc's that i installed the connector are there but the are seepling or log off.
    3.i can't install the power pack 1 beacuse  of problem no' 1
    note :
    i only have the evaloaion version ( 30 days ) and i really want to get my server up and running ... and i really need help

You should have 120 days once you activate the trial version (but I wouldn't activate it until you get it working properly).  Where did you download the image from?

ok103 said:

i have a lot of problems with the comunication ... ( i have a router at home ..., and i can't seem to be able to log on to the server from the internet ) something about UPnP - cn someone explain it ?

thanks a lot
    for all your help
    ok103

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Hello,

during the entire setup process the DVD must remain in the drive (or did you assing the ISO to the VM?), otherwise setup will fail.
    Installing Windows Home Server on a virtual system is not supported and in the context of your virtual network communication between virtual machines may be blocked in the default configuration.
    You also will have to add the VMWare network drivers manually via the VMWare console feature, since WHS has no built in support.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:36 PM
  • hey there
    thanks for your replay here is some things i want to say :

1. i  didn't remove the DVD from the drive when i istalled the WHS.
    2. i download the evaloation from technet at microsoft.
    3. i managed to install the power pack and the IE7 after changing the reg key - from one of the posts here in the forum .
    4. i still have the fail setup at the welcome screen .
    5  i still can't connect my computers with the connector cd ....
    6. i'm having problem with my network :
    i already said that i have w virtual machine - 1.WHS 2.XP PRO SP3
    i can see my server when i log on from any computer like that : //IP/home - then i see the WHS log on screen and i can log on
    but when i try to surf the web page like : https://XXXX.homeserver.com  i can't !!!
    7. i have a router at home ( ROTAL router )  and my WHS gets a 10.0.0.10 ip ... i port foarwarding the 433 80 4125 port to the 10.0.0.10 ip ... but i still can't see the ip from the IE at my other computers.

8. when i click on setting at my WHS and i click details on my domain i have just 3  green V and 2 yellows !

i don't know what is UPnP ?? and how do i configure it in my router ???
    the 2 yellow (!) saying that i can acsess my WHS from the internet ..

Can you please help me configure my router ... ?? so i can do some test the WHS with my computer ..

i have so many more questions ...
    please help me out

thanks
    ok103

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:46 PM
  • ok103 said:

hey there
    thanks for your replay here is some things i want to say :

1. i  didn't remove the DVD from the drive when i istalled the WHS.
    2. i download the evaloation from technet at microsoft.
    3. i managed to install the power pack and the IE7 after changing the reg key - from one of the posts here in the forum .
    4. i still have the fail setup at the welcome screen .
    5  i still can't connect my computers with the connector cd ....
    6. i'm having problem with my network :
    i already said that i have w virtual machine - 1.WHS 2.XP PRO SP3
    i can see my server when i log on from any computer like that : //IP/home - then i see the WHS log on screen and i can log on
    but when i try to surf the web page like : https://XXXX.homeserver.com  i can't !!!
    7. i have a router at home ( ROTAL router )  and my WHS gets a 10.0.0.10 ip ... i port foarwarding the 433 80 4125 port to the 10.0.0.10 ip ... but i still can't see the ip from the IE at my other computers.

8. when i click on setting at my WHS and i click details on my domain i have just 3  green V and 2 yellows !

i don't know what is UPnP ?? and how do i configure it in my router ???
    the 2 yellow (!) saying that i can acsess my WHS from the internet ..

Can you please help me configure my router ... ?? so i can do some test the WHS with my computer ..

i have so many more questions ...
    please help me out

thanks
    ok103

If you are talking about getting through the Microsoft Action Pack, there is a known issue with the key.  Please read check this article.  Otherwise, considering you are having so many issues, I would recommend you start over from scratch and do another New Installation (instead of using hacks that may or may not help you in the long run).
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:32 PM