none
WHS Console cannot open because the following file is blocking it: HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently had a problem with a hard drive failure that is getting more and more complicated.  I had saved nearly 100Mb of audio files in one of my shared folders.  It was set up to make a copy of these files on two drives in my server using folder duplication for safety's sake.

About a week ago, one of my hard drives started failing.  I attempted to make copies of my valuable files on another computer so I could remove the faulty drive.  "The computer says...no!" I was unable to copy the files either by "pulling" them to another computer, or by pushing them from the WHS.  I kept getting errors and the server would freeze.

I read some of the posts on this forum which said that despite all outward appearances, all may not be lost.  One recommendation was to see which version of the WHS software I was running.  In order to do that, I was supposed to start the WHS Console, click the Settings link and then the Resources tab.  Well when I tried to do that, the Console said that it couldn't start because the backup service wasn't started.  There was a "repair" link that I used, which said it completed successfully.  Now when I try to start the Console, I get a message stating "The Windows Home Server Console cannot open because the following file is blocking it: HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll" It also gives me the option to open the Console without this file, but it warns that "If you click Yes, the Console may start without a feature that is associated with this file.  If you click No, the Console will try to open again, using this file."

If I choose the "Yes" option, the console opens, but the Disks tab is completely missing and so is the ability to find the Resources tab after clicking the Settings link.

I'm hoping to get a little advice on how I can find out if the server ever made copies of my music folder, and if so, is there a copy of it on the one working drive on the system.

I had a five year warranty on the faulty drive and plan to get a replacement, but I don't want to lose my data if at all possible.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Nate
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:00 AM

All replies

• The easiest way to find out if a copy exists on one of the drives in your server is to shut your server down, disconnect each drive one at a time and connect it to another computer, and check on that drive in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. (The DE folder is a hidden folder.) WHS stores files as files, and uses NTFS as it's file system, so the disks are readable from any computer that can read NTFS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Thanks for that info...I have done that and found that the folder in question only appears on the drive that is failing.  Ugh!  I checked the folder and found that the checkbox for folder duplication is still checked.  Any idea why WHS wouldn't have actually duplicated my folder?  Where do I go from here?  I can pay the drive manufacturer (Seagate) $75 to recover my data, but what happens if they put that data on a new drive and I install it back in my WHS machine?  Will it recognize it as being a former part of the server, or will I be forced to format that drive as part of the installation process?

I thought I was safe with WHS, but I'm finding that not to be the case.  WHS is a great operating system when it works.  I have had my system running for 18+ months as a whole house media server.  However, it seems you need a knowledgable IT staff to support it though because it doesn't warn you well enough if things are going wrong behind the scenes.

Thanks again!

Nate
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Duplication doesn't happen synchronously; it's a process that runs once an hour. This leaves a small window of vulnerability, and unfortunately you hit that small window.

You may be able to recover some/all of the files by simply copying them off that drive. That's what I would suggest you try first.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:37 PM