MMC Crash when configuring Claims based authentication on CRM 2011 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have configured CRM2011 and SQL Server 2008 on 2 different serversand are working fine. Now i have alsoinstalled ADFS on a seperate server and so CRM as well as ADFS go by the default ports. I do have a wildcard certificate which has been installed on both the CRM and ADFS Servers with respective website bindings pointing to these certificates and my crm domain is crmdemo.xyz.com which has been updated in the deployment manager - web address as crmdemo.xyz.com:443 and set to HTTPS for all the web addresses. The ADFS Server is adfs.xyz.com and I am able to access the federation metadata url of ADFS Server from crm server as https://adfs.xyz.com/federationmetadata.....

Also i have made sure the certificates under personal certificates and under manage private keys, the network service acount is given full rights. The CRMAppPool also runs on this Network Service account.

Now when trying to configure claims based authenticationon the crm server, everything goes well till the point i am ableto choose the certificate and after clicking the last finish button,the mmc crashes throwing an mmc error. This doesnt throw any error desiption in the windows application log.

After having fone this when i try to brose the federation metadata of CRMserver from ADFS server as https://crmdemo.xyz.com/federationmetadata/2007-06/..... i get an error saying invalid arguement

When i check the application error log on the crm server it gives the error asgiven below. Hope someone can help me resolvethis issue as i am stuck in this particular stage and cannot continue.

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 4/17/2011 1:06:09 PM
    Event time (UTC): 4/17/2011 9:06:09 AM
    Event ID: ce8a4ee592cb46c0ae30f894248a0c66
    Event sequence: 73
    Event occurrence: 9
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT-1-129475043984650058
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /
        Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\CRMWeb\
        Machine name: PGCVMCRM

Process information:
        Process ID: 6092
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: ArgumentNullException
        Exception message: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: Certificate name

Request information:
        Request URL: https://crmdemo.xyz.com:443/Handlers/FederationMetadata.ashx
        Request path: /Handlers/FederationMetadata.ashx
        User host address: 10.4.76.37
        User: 
        Is authenticated: False
        Authentication Type: 
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 22
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:

Custom event details:

Regards

RV

Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:36 AM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

I have myself found the answer to my issue and this was because of the wild card certificate that i was using. Probbly it is more than 128 charaters and hence givng this mmc crash and i tried with a self signed certificate and it works perfectly fine.

Hope this tip will be helpfull for others.

Regards

RV

Sunday, April 17, 2011 10:03 AM