console not running on Vista as standard user RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to  a vista home premium machine.  I tried to install connector software unsuccessfully, and saw the recommendation to disconnect broadband modem and reinstall.  this was successful.  but upon restarting the whs tray icon was gone and I could not start the connector software or console.  I attempted to install the connector software under my standard user (which is not allowed) so I tried to reinstall as administrator. I got the message that WHS connector software was already installed, so I removed and reinstalled.  again successful.  but again upon restarting under standard user, cannot run the connector software and no tray icon.

also of note, Windows Defender keeps popping up a note that it has blocked start-up programs, though I did not see the connector software in the list, nor have I figured out how to tell defender what to allow... 

I tried to search the forum but did not find any resolution to this.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:11 PM

Answers

• It does not appear to have been defender.  I had to unhook my cable modem, install WHS console application as superuser account, then add standard user privilages manually to the Windows home server folder and files.  then add tray app to the other user's startup menu.   after this it would not connect for a while, but eventually did connect (a couple of hours later).

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:41 PM

All replies

• To tell Windows Defender what software to allow, just launch Windows Defender, click on Software Explorer, choose the program and you should be able to click Disable or Enable, depending on what you want to do.

The help files with Defender are ok and should contain all you need to know.

Andrew

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:07 PM
  • I already checked in Windows defender software explorer and all items regarding WHS say in process, and the enable disable buttons are grayed out.  I don't know for sure that Defender is what is breaking the console, though I may try to remove defender and see if it does fix it... though I was hoping to find a resolution prior to doing that.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:16 PM
  • It does not appear to have been defender.  I had to unhook my cable modem, install WHS console application as superuser account, then add standard user privilages manually to the Windows home server folder and files.  then add tray app to the other user's startup menu.   after this it would not connect for a while, but eventually did connect (a couple of hours later).

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:41 PM