none
Network Admin which programming languange for 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

as a network admin with no knowledge of programming, which programming language is most useful to know and it wil help most with the day to day tasks of a network/system administrator ?

Thanks

Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I think the most important scripting language is Powershell.

You find some introductions at:
    http://www.powershellpro.com/powershell-tutorial-introduction/
    http://www.developer.com/lang/other/article.php/3674886/An-Introduction-To-PowerShell.htm

There is a lot more - just look around with google or bing.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, December 25, 2010 1:05 PM
    Answerer
  • and what about javascript does it help in an IT admin role or powershell is really preferred ?
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:08 AM
  • I owuld say that javascript had never a real role in administration. In the past on windows VB-Script was the main language for admins to automate stuff. But that was replaced by powershell.

Javascript is the scripting language used by browsers. But that is web site development and not administration of (windows) systems.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, December 26, 2010 4:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Konrad which book is most recommended to start learning Powershell from scratch and how do you suggest learning it since most of the times when there is a GUI that does the same thing it is preferred, at least in my case.

Thanks
    Monday, December 27, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Scripting with windows Powershell.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 6:27 AM
  • The PowerShell MVP Dr. Thobias Weltner offers a free eBook "Mastering Powershell". I got this eBook when it was published through a Microsoft newsletter where it was announced as free download. (Microsoft often offers free eBooks for a short time even from commercial books when new technology comes out but I think that it is not legal to copy it any further after this free download period is over...)

I checked, if this eBook is still available and I found http://powershell.com. The site seems to be a god place for a beginner. And the eBook is available there, too: http://powershell.com/cs/blogs/ebook/

So maybe you want to have a look at that first.

I think such a book could be enough already to learn the basics of powershell. The next step is of course knowing the details of windows or technology on windows, e.g. if you want to automate some SQL Server tasks, you should know details of SQL Server!

And maybe you want to look on google for some nice and free PowerShell GUIs. I am not that familar with PowerShell (I am a C# developer) but I know that some colleagues found some nice IDE for their PowerShell work. What I found was:
    http://www.powergui.org/index.jspa
    - http://www.scriptinternals.de/new/us/home/default.htm (Not a free tool!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

EDIT: This script internals seems to come as a VB Script editor that now just "support powershell". Maybe it is a good tool for powershell, but maybe you want more than just this "supports powershell" now.

Monday, December 27, 2010 7:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

this is really confusing.

There is a PowerShellIde from sysinternals but the homepage does not show it? Or am I blind? I have to confess, that it is a little confusing now.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Coding-languages-Compilers/PowerShellIDE.shtml
    is what I found now.

Konrad

Monday, December 27, 2010 7:46 AM
    Answerer
  • the only drawback I am seeing is that since I work in small companies like 50 computers or less, the use of Powershell will not be of benefit as when working in large companies and also there is not certification for it so there is no accepted standard.

What do you think about this ?

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

first of all, you have to think about the stuff you want to do. Of course - he benefit is much higher in larger companies. But there you have other tools also. (e.g. Software Distribution systems)

And if you need to automate something, then you have to do something. PowerShell is THE way, that Microsoft gives us. (Old bat/cmd files was in the past followed by WSH. Now Microsoft invented PowerShell.) So how do you automate something? That is the main question. A lot of tools have their own automatisation (e.g. SQL Server offers ways to do automatic backups and such stuff), but you can often do it also as a script.

You are right: there is no PowerShell exam. But when you do an exam (e.g. 70-433 Database Development) then you get questions about PowerShell, too.

PowerShell is the newes technology. In my eyes it is great (I do not know it in detail, but colleagues worked a lot with it) and it is very easy to extend. It is the new standard that microsoft proposes so other vendors support it (e.g. VMWare).

That is my view. And nobody can tell you, if it is usefull or not. That is something, manager should decide. (They are used to calculate such things. Doing a job costs e.g. 30 min per week. To automate this job they have to spend 16 hours work. So after 32 weeks they make a benefit if it is unchanged. Great! - And we have these calculations all the time because I develop software used internally so tehy always look at the effort to build something, how much easier the work gets and then they decide if they want a solution or not.)

I hope this helped a little. Sorry that I cannot tell you more. The decision if you want to do stuff like that or not belongs completly to you and your company. (But I would take a closer look as administrator. It is part of the windows OS and you should know that.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

the below are a good add on for a system admin with no knowledge of databases, which is the preferred one and if there is another one which is even more preferred please tell me about it.

70-433 or 70-432

So in this way I will learn a bit more on powershell at the same time.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

the 70-433 is mainly for software developers and not for administrators. The 70-432 is the main exam for Administrators and is covering the installation and maintanance. It is great if your company has MS SQL Servers and you have to maintain them (including setup of servers / installing service packs,setting security, backup/restore of databases, ... all the important tasks of administrators!)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:47 PM
    Answerer
  • which book is the best out of all for the 70-432 only and that you recommend

thanks

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Agreed, Powershell 2.0 and/or VB scripting. And the nice thing about scripting is that most scripts are already written, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:06 PM