Stupid Question.. RRS feed

• Question

• Been reading the forums now since I started testing WHS and really have had nothing to add to the great support being given by everyone else. I do have a pretty stupid question concerning the future, after reading the blog it always mentions how all these bugs are being swatted and new builds are being created. Does anyone know if and when there will be a new update? I'm not complaining since my WHS is running great right now although I do not use it as toughly (nice word huh?) as many others. I'm just trying to gauge the future, I'm in the process of the planning stages of building a new Server for my Home and don't want to get too far ahead fo the software... Thanks in advance..

Al

Sunday, April 8, 2007 5:10 PM

Answers

• Al,

At this point, nobody in the public beta group knows if there will be another publicly released build between now and RC1. I know that the WHS support team that posts here would like there to be, but MS has to meet a far higher standard for a build that's released to tens of thousands of testers than for one that's released to a couple of hundred. So whether we see another public build will probably depend on A) how stable the interim builds prove to be, B) how many new bugs are found in the interim builds, and C) team resources.

That said, this is beta software. Plan for the possibility that you will have to scrub your WHS at some point, and don't use it as the sole repository for irreplaceable, essential data. Other than that, experiment. Push the limits if you're so inclined. Have fun. Smile

Sunday, April 8, 2007 8:56 PM

All replies

• I would be more lucky to see that builds in action.

As i also got some bugs, that are reported by others and the state is "fixed". I would like to check out, how fixed they really are.

As the file system of whs got damaged this week and i have to reinstall the server, now would be a goot time, that i would try one of the newer builds, than install that one, that has generated the problems for let me reinstall whs.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 5:39 PM
  •  Karsten Schilder wrote:

As i also got some bugs, that are reported by others and the state is "fixed". I would like to check out, how fixed they really are.

Ken Warren wrote:
    See  this WHS Team Blog post for a little more explanation of the process.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Al,

This is definitely not a stupid question.  Most of us that are actively using/testing/tweaking the beta 2 version have the same question.  Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until the WHS Team is ready to announce what happens next.

As for 'getting too far ahead of the software', I can offer some advice.

• Assume the worst, i.e., assume that the next version will require a clean install. 
    • Make sure you have a way to backup your shared folders
    • Document all of your tweaks, such as firewall settings. It will be invaluable if you have to re-do them
    • Don't get locked in to features that might not be supported, e.g. joining domains, SPS, etc.

Otherwise, go crazy and try anything that seems interesting.  And let everyone know what happens!  Good luck.

Murray

Sunday, April 8, 2007 5:49 PM
  •  1ne wrote:

Karsten Schilder wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:
    See this WHS Team Blog post for a little more explanation of the process.

I know this blog.

But you should think about 2 questions:

1.) Did this fix really fix the bug? Sometimes, when you read the code, you find a bug. But it's not alway its the bug, that got reported.
    2.) Do this fix causing other problems? Sometimes, after a bug got fixed, a subroutine got called, that never before got called, because of this bug. And this subroutine also can contain bugs.

Fixing bugs in software is more than finding the problem and think: "now all is good". Some years ago, i also wrote software and i know, what i am talking about. Thats the reason i wrote, it would make more sence for me, to install a newer build, than reinstall the bugged one again.
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 6:05 PM
  •  Karsten Schilder wrote:
    I know this blog.

But you should think about 2 questions:

1.) Did this fix really fix the bug? Sometimes, when you read the code, you find a bug. But it's not alway its the bug, that got reported.
    2.) Do this fix causing other problems? Sometimes, after a bug got fixed, a subroutine got called, that never before got called, because of this bug. And this subroutine also can contain bugs.

Fixing bugs in software is more than finding the problem and think: "now all is good". Some years ago, i also wrote software and i know, what i am talking about. Thats the reason i wrote, it would make more sence for me, to install a newer build, than reinstall the bugged one again.

I understand where you are coming from. I too, wonder that myself. Don't shoot the messenger...Wink

Sunday, April 8, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Al,

At this point, nobody in the public beta group knows if there will be another publicly released build between now and RC1. I know that the WHS support team that posts here would like there to be, but MS has to meet a far higher standard for a build that's released to tens of thousands of testers than for one that's released to a couple of hundred. So whether we see another public build will probably depend on A) how stable the interim builds prove to be, B) how many new bugs are found in the interim builds, and C) team resources.

That said, this is beta software. Plan for the possibility that you will have to scrub your WHS at some point, and don't use it as the sole repository for irreplaceable, essential data. Other than that, experiment. Push the limits if you're so inclined. Have fun. Smile

Sunday, April 8, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Thanks everyone.. I'm not worried about the software of the future or the release nothing that can't be redone or that is of important nature is on the Server. I've learned in the past I do beta testing for another company and unfortunately I learned the hard way of not backing up. We'll leave my stupidity at that. .LOL I pretty much figured that, I'm having fun with this software, and I know soon enough I am going to really start putting it through its paces.. Right now I have 6 computers sharing it and 3 more that are basically offline computers.. One of these days I am going to turn them all on and really make it work. Smile Anyways, thanks for the replies it's good to know i'm not the only one with the question...

Al

Monday, April 9, 2007 1:46 AM