112GB of Data4096.X.dat files WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS with Power Pack 2.

I have 34 files in the D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} folder. They total up to 112 GB in size (most are 4,194,304 KB in size). They are all dated 8/23/09 starting at 1:09am.

I don't see any errors or warnings in the Event Logs for this date and time. In fact, there are very few warnings or errors in the Event Log total. Searching through this forum, and others, I've tried the chkdsk batch script as suggested in the URL below. I've also tried a manual database cleanup and repair.

I've got over 3.41TB of total drive space, but I don't like seeing my "System" piece of the storage pie taking up 21% (767 GB) of my drive space. I'm not saving anything outside of the pre-defined shares (Music, Public, Videos, etc) Any suggestions?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• C:\fs\6\ has no other folders except DE
    C:\fs\7\ has three sub-folders
        3d59607cb4987a8d7254cf443169 which is 2.00MB
        525dbfe5d38298bb327e8f which is 0 bytes
        DE which is 288GB
    C:\fs\P\ has no other folders except DE

No other folders other than "folders" and "shares" except what I listed above.

That is really odd about the difference in what the disks are named. Here's the details from the Disk Management Add-in : Disk 0 and Disk 1 I happen to know are the same exact model (therefore the name is right). The GUID in the details does list a different number for each of the four disks. The serial number is "unknown" for the two WDC disks (disk 0 and disk 1). I know both of these disks are 500GB drives. So why is the capacity only displayed as 232GB? I didn't do any partitioning prior to installation or post install for that matter.
    For whatever reason, it thinks your primary drive is only 250 GB.

At this point, considering all of the problems you're having, I think you should start over from scratch.  First, copy all of your data to another location (just to make sure you have everything secured before hand), then do a New Installation (not a Server Reinstallation).  A New Installation will format all of your hard drives during installation, so make sure you back everything up first.  Once it's complete, copy your data back to the server.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by DemonBrew Friday, September 4, 2009 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:27 PM
  • I agree. I need to start completely from scratch. Thanks.

Before you reuse the current system disk I suggest you check in the system BIOS if the disk is recognised as 500GB disk. If not I would try and get a replacement disk from the vendor / manufacturer.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:24 AM

All replies

• Well the data in folders is rather important; those are the backups of all your computers.

Have you stored any files on the D: drive? Even though they are on that drive they are counted as system files if you do not put them on the server using the network share folders.

What programs (if any) have you installed?
    Other than the 'folders' folder, what are the other large folders on your D: drive (or whatever the data pool is)?
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:13 AM Add more content
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Have you stored any files on the D: drive?
    As I pointed out in my original post, no. Everything is stored in the default shared folders. However, the shares are located on the D drive.

What programs (if any) have you installed?

I have installed utorrent, but those data4096.x.dat files existed before that. In addition, I have utorrent saving all files inside the Public share.

Other than the 'folders' folder, what are the other large folders on your D: drive (or whatever the data pool is)?
    All top level folders on D: and corresponding size:
    shares - 445.2GB
    folders - 118.0GB
    e7c3ec62c7be74ce54c130b6cf4747a9 - 6.1 MB
    DE - 58.4 KB
    RECYCLER - 85 bytes
    System Volume Information - 0

Here's a snapshot of the pie chart I'm talking about. I'm concerned about the System piece that is 767GB.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    • Edited by DemonBrew Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:10 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:09 AM
  • Pie chart does not display correct information. I don't know in detail how WHS calculates system size for the pie chart, however I think it includes all data in shares stored on the D drive (D:\DE\shares), Client backups and volume shadow copies (System Volume Information shows 0 kb because you don't have appropriate rights to that folder). 

If you want better info concerning your disk space usage (including size of volume shadow copies) I suggest you use the WHS Disk Management Add-In from Sam Wood.

Having said that, kingslaye505 is right, the data4096x.dat files are part of your client backup database. PLEASE DON'T TOUCH!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:05 PM
  • Understood about the data files. NO TOUCHING. ;-) I installed the WHS Disk Management add-in. It still shows the same total space and total free space (which is the same numbers as the standard WHS pie chart). So, I'm back to square one. Why is the System volume so large?

Or, are you suggesting that my shares actually take up that space, and to ignore the pie chart? I guess what I need to know is - how do I compare what files (size) are in the shares versus what drive space is being used? Because I don't think I actually have that much stuff in the shares folder.

edit: rephrasing the question: what's an EASY way to do this without having to look at each file to make sure it's duplicated, file size, etc?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:23 PM
  • What is the value you get for the system disk (probably disk0) in the disk management Add-in? This is the amount of storage space used on your primary disk ( C and D partitions) which is considered as system in WHS pie chart. Also please take into account the amount of storage used for Volume Shadow Copies. I'm not sure if the latest version of the Disk Management Add-in shows amount of storage used for shadow copies per disk.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:02 PM
  • I believe your problem actually has arisen from uTorrent. Instead of saving them to a network share, you saved them to the folder directly. This causes the data to be seen as system data rather than shared data. Please forgive me if I misread something.

If you want to fix this, you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\Account uTorrent is installed on\Application Data\uTorrent and you will have a list of any data you have downloaded with uTorrent. Then it's just a matter of biting the bullet and transfering all the data through the shared folders, which may take some time.

Good luck with this.
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:56 PM Fixed spacing
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:54 PM
  • What is the value you get for the system disk (probably disk0) in the disk management Add-in? This is the amount of storage space used on your primary disk ( C and D partitions) which is considered as system in WHS pie chart. Also please take into account the amount of storage used for Volume Shadow Copies. I'm not sure if the latest version of the Disk Management Add-in shows amount of storage used for shadow copies per disk.

Not sure what you're looking for, but here is a screen shot of Disk Management.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    • Edited by DemonBrew Friday, August 28, 2009 10:17 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:16 PM
  • I believe your problem actually has arisen from uTorrent. Instead of saving them to a network share, you saved them to the folder directly. This causes the data to be seen as system data rather than shared data. Please forgive me if I misread something.

If you want to fix this, you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\Account uTorrent is installed on\Application Data\uTorrent and you will have a list of any data you have downloaded with uTorrent. Then it's just a matter of biting the bullet and transfering all the data through the shared folders, which may take some time.

Good luck with this.

The large System Volume problem existed before utorrent was installed. I did find that folder, there is only 353KB of files in there, the largest file being webui.zip at 218KB.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Let me clarify what I meant. I'm guessing that you've downloaded a large amount of data from uTorrent ~ 750 GB? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Any file that you transferred directly to D:\shares\Public will be counted as a system file and not a shared file. The only way to change this is to actually transfer them through a network folder on the server (\\Server\Public). I believe this is why you're getting the error.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:47 AM
  • The Disk Management add-in is a Windows Home Server add-in, accessed through the console. The Disk Management MMC snap-in is a separate tool which,m in the Windows Home Server environment, will give misleading information. (Look at the space free on the D: partition for example.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Let me clarify what I meant. I'm guessing that you've downloaded a large amount of data from uTorrent ~ 750 GB? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Any file that you transferred directly to D:\shares\Public will be counted as a system file and not a shared file. The only way to change this is to actually transfer them through a network folder on the server (\\Server\Public). I believe this is why you're getting the error.

Understood. And let me clarify what I meant. No, the problem existed before uTorrent was installed.

Just to be sure, I moved everything from D:\shares\public to d:\temp and then moved them all to \\server\public. It did make a small amount of difference. The System piece of the pie now is 15% (545 GB). But that still seems very large.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Understood. And let me clarify what I meant. No, the problem existed before uTorrent was installed.

Just to be sure, I moved everything from D:\shares\public to d:\temp and then moved them all to \\server\public. It did make a small amount of difference. The System piece of the pie now is 15% (545 GB). But that still seems very large.

Did you ever use D:\shares for anything else?  (I'm thinking you might have other shares that you need to relocate, just as you did with the Public share.)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:52 AM
  • My suspicion is that you've run afoul of the results of using your server in ways not contemplated by Microsoft (uTorrent, for example, though it looks like perhaps that's not be the source of your present quandary).

If you want to sort this out, it should be possible to identify all of the data on your disks, and where it falls in the pie charts. Given that you've been using your server for unsupported scenarios, I will recommend (again) that you install the Disk Management add-in, as it gives a more detailed picture of disk use than the built-in tools.

After that I would log on to your server using Remote Desktop. Having done so, I would:
    • Empty the Recycle Bin.
    • If you have used a hack to enable recovery points à la Windows XP on your server (this is unsupported and not recommended) purge the storage and disable the hack.
    • Make sure shadow copies are turned off entirely by opening regedit, navigating to the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes, then select each volume in turn and set Key SnapPeriod to 0.
    • Try deleting any remaining shadow copies for all volumes:
      • On your server, open a command prompt.
      • Type vssadmin delete shadows for=C: /all and press enter.
      • Repeat for D: and for every folder listed under C:\FS (These are your secondary storage pool drives; normally you should not touch anything you find here)
    • Reboot your server.
    Now see where things stand.

There are other things that could make use of "system" space, but this will take care of the most likely culprits.

Monday, August 31, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Understood. And let me clarify what I meant. No, the problem existed before uTorrent was installed.

Did you ever use D:\shares for anything else?  (I'm thinking you might have other shares that you need to relocate, just as you did with the Public share.)

I repeated the same procedure for all other shares. It shows the System pie piece as 767GB.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:29 PM
  • My suspicion is that you've run afoul of the results of using your server in ways not contemplated by Microsoft (uTorrent, for example, though it looks like perhaps that's not be the source of your present quandary).

If you want to sort this out, it should be possible to identify all of the data on your disks, and where it falls in the pie charts. Given that you've been using your server for unsupported scenarios, I will recommend (again) that you install the Disk Management add-in, as it gives a more detailed picture of disk use than the built-in tools.

After that I would log on to your server using Remote Desktop. Having done so, I would:
    • Empty the Recycle Bin.
    • If you have used a hack to enable recovery points à la Windows XP on your server (this is unsupported and not recommended) purge the storage and disable the hack.
    • Make sure shadow copies are turned off entirely by opening regedit, navigating to the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes , then select each volume in turn and set Key SnapPeriod to 0.
    • Try deleting any remaining shadow copies for all volumes:
      • On your server, open a command prompt.
      • Type vssadmin delete shadows for=C: /all and press enter.
      • Repeat for D: and for every folder listed under C:\FS (These are your secondary storage pool drives; normally you should not touch anything you find here)
    • Reboot your server.
    Now see where things stand.

There are other things that could make use of "system" space, but this will take care of the most likely culprits.

I have already installed the Disk Management add-in. Where should I be looking for more detailed information?
    Recycle bin is already empty.
    No hacks have been used.
    SnapPeriod for all Volumes is already set to 0.
    The vssadmin delete shadows command returned "No items found that satisfy the query." for every folder/location you suggested.
    I rebooted the server.
    System pie piece is still 767GB.
    uTorrent is the only other application I have ever installed on this machine.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:41 PM
  • I repeated the same procedure for all other shares. It shows the System pie piece as 767GB.

Are you 100% certain of that?  Just yesterday, you said:

(I put the 545 in bold)

I can't think of anything that would cause your System to go from 767, down to 545, then back up to 767 in that time frame.

What about checking the size of each folder in C:\fs\x\DE (where x is a random letter or number)?  You should have 3 different "x"s (since you have 3 secondary drives) so make sure you look at each of the 3 drives.  Also make sure to include all folders shown (even if it's 0 bytes, as you did with System Volume Information before).  NOTE:  Do not change anything while you are looking at the folder sizes as it will harm your sever's functionality.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:04 AM
  • Yes. I'm 100% sure, and I agree - that doesn't make any sense.

As for the C:\fs\x\DE folder sizes:

C:\fs\6\DE is 288GB
    C:\fs\7\DE is 288GB
    C:\fs\P\DE is 445GB

Or did I read your intent wrong? Your wording "Also make sure to include all folders shown (even if it's 0 bytes, as you did with System Volume Information before)." seems to indicate I should be looking at each subfolder and perhaps comparing it between the drives? Not sure what your troubleshooting line of thinking is. (Not questioning it, just trying to understand).

So, what happens if I just reinstall the OS (like a repair install)? Would that correct the problem? I suppose the other thing I can do is move all my data off the server to another drive, and start over from scratch? With that amount of data, that would take some time.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:04 AM
  • So, what happens if I just reinstall the OS (like a repair install)? Would that correct the problem? I suppose the other thing I can do is move all my data off the server to another drive, and start over from scratch? With that amount of data, that would take some time.

IMHO the situation you are facing is not normal. You system disk is only 230 GB in size, so I would expect the value for system in the pie chart to be less then this value. Possibly there is something wrong with the information for the different disks stored in the registry which makes your system add the storage amounts of the actual system disk and one of your other disks.

Personally I would not do a server reinstall in this situation. Instead I would file a bug report on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site and wait for response from the WHS team. Detailed instructions at the bottom of this page. If you file a bug please post a link in this thread.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Yes. I'm 100% sure, and I agree - that doesn't make any sense.

As for the C:\fs\x\DE folder sizes:

C:\fs\6\DE is 288GB
    C:\fs\7\DE is 288GB
    C:\fs\P\DE is 445GB

Or did I read your intent wrong?

Yes, but that's ok.  As long as you haven't added any data to your server since you started this thread, I think you still gave enough info.  :)

Your wording "Also make sure to include all folders shown (even if it's 0 bytes, as you did with System Volume Information before)." seems to indicate I should be looking at each subfolder and perhaps comparing it between the drives? Not sure what your troubleshooting line of thinking is. (Not questioning it, just trying to understand).

So, what happens if I just reinstall the OS (like a repair install)? Would that correct the problem? I suppose the other thing I can do is move all my data off the server to another drive, and start over from scratch? With that amount of data, that would take some time.
    There is definitely something wrong with your server.  You show all 3 of your secondary hard drives having used up a significant amount of space (288, 288, 445).  Yet, in the Disk Management pic above, it shows you are only using 2 drives for storage (your 500 GB secondary drive and the DATA portion of your 250 GB primary drive are both virtually empty, all of your data is stored on your 1.5 TB drives).  However, just to make sure nothing else has changed, can you post a new pic of the Disk Management (along with an updated amount of your 3 secondary drives, just like you did last time)?

As for brubber's suggestion of filing a bug report, you can try it.  However, I would expect MS's response to be "external (uTorrent)" (which I do believe is somehow related to all of this, but since I don't use it, I can only speculate).
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:46 PM
  • IMHO the situation you are facing is not normal. You system disk is only 230 GB in size, so I would expect the value for system in the pie chart to be less then this value.
    I agree with Brubber that your situation is not normal. I disagree with this, however. "System" is every byte used on any disk in the storage pool that's not covered under another wedge. If you have significant amounts of data on your disks, but outside the storage pool (i.e. not under the DE folder) it will show as "system" even if it adds up to much more than your system disk in size.

Anyway, can you inspect your shadow storage to see if there is a lot of data in there? You can do this on your server as follows:
    • Open My Computer.
    • Right click C: or D: and select properties.
    • Select the Shadow Copies tab.
    • Add up the amounts you see listed under the Used column.
    You'll also see, for every volume, a list of shadow copies. (Just select the volume.) Do you see regular snapshots being taken on any volume?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:14 PM
  • I agree with Brubber that your situation is not normal. I disagree with this, however. "System" is every byte used on any disk in the storage pool that's not covered under another wedge. If you have significant amounts of data on your disks, but outside the storage pool (i.e. not under the DE folder) it will show as "system" even if it adds up to much more than your system disk in size.

Hmm. I guess theoretically you are right, since currently this would be the only way for WHS to account for all storage used. Personally I think WHS team should add a segment for other data (not system, not backups, not in shares)

Just checked my own system and now I'm getting slightly confused. My system reports 359 GB for system, and I definitely don't have that much data stored on C and D partitions and outside storage pool. When I add up the figures myself I get to 79 GB for system according to definition of System above. Disk management Add-in from Sam Wood (private beta) show 85 GB. Apparently Disk Management Add-in includes VSS data, even though these are stored on a disk outside the storage pool.

Based on this I would conclude for now 79 GB ( or 85 GB) would be correct value for my system and thus WHS storage tab reports erroneous value. I'll bug this later today and post link overhere.

The only "abnormal" thing on my system is that I have duplication enabled for the backup database, however both copies are stored in correct folders on DATA disks, not on D partition Also, if I add the backup db size to the 79 GB stored on C an D partitons I get to a value well above the reported 359 GB. There's no apparent logical way to get the reported 359 GB

EDIT:  Bug report
    • Edited by brubberModerator Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:09 PM added link to bug report
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:59 PM
  • First, before I forget, thanks everyone for their help. I appreciate it.
    Secondly, I'm posting the updated pics. There has been no file changes except for one laptop auto-backup that ran last night.
    Third, there is nothing at all in the "Used" column for either drive C or D.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:39 AM
  • I suspect the change in the Disk 1 usage comes from me moving files from d:\shares\FOLDERNAME to \\server\sharename.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You didn't check the folder sizes of the 3 DE folders like you did last time.  Please do that (and also indicate if there are any changes in the Disk Management MMC Console, not the Disk Management add-in for WHS).
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:08 AM
  • C:\fs\6\DE is 288GB (same)
    C:\fs\7\DE is 288GB (same)
    C:\fs\P\DE is 445GB (same)

And I did use the Disk Management console - that's the first pic in my last post.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3671/disk1c.jpg
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Please checkout my previous post in this thread. I appear to have a similar situation on my system and I've submitted a bug. I do however think there may be some other issues on your machine and I still think your best option is to submit a bug report.

I think the disk management Add-in shows correct values for all disks. If this is correct you still have an odd situation, both of your large Data disks (2 and 3) contain roughly 660 GB of data which is a lot more then sum of your shares + client backups (571 GB). This suggests there is data outside the normal DE folders on these disks.

The info in your previous post suggests all share data is stored once in C:\fs\P\DE (disk1?) and the duplicates of each share and the backup data are distributed more or less evenly over disks 2 and 3, approximately 288 GB on each of them. So on each of these disks there appears to be around 375 GB of data outside the normal WHS folders. Multiply by 2 and you get close to the value the system tab displays.

Do you have any other folders other then "DE" and "System Volume Information" on C:\fs\6, C:\fs\7 or C:\fs\P? If not, does any of the DE folders contain folders other then "folders" and "shares"?

Another thing that I don't really like is the fact that disk0 (system) and disk1 have the same name, especially since they differ in size. I would expect disk0 to start with something like WDC WD250 (if it's WD disk) and not WDC WD500. If you look at the detailed Disk Info using the Disk Management Add-in please check if diks serial number and disk GUID for disks 0 and 1 are different. 

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:59 AM
        DE which is 288GB

That is really odd about the difference in what the disks are named. Here's the details from the Disk Management Add-in : Disk 0 and Disk 1 I happen to know are the same exact model (therefore the name is right). The GUID in the details does list a different number for each of the four disks. The serial number is "unknown" for the two WDC disks (disk 0 and disk 1). I know both of these disks are 500GB drives. So why is the capacity only displayed as 232GB? I didn't do any partitioning prior to installation or post install for that matter.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:12 PM
        DE which is 288GB

For whatever reason, it thinks your primary drive is only 250 GB.

At this point, considering all of the problems you're having, I think you should start over from scratch.  First, copy all of your data to another location (just to make sure you have everything secured before hand), then do a New Installation (not a Server Reinstallation).  A New Installation will format all of your hard drives during installation, so make sure you back everything up first.  Once it's complete, copy your data back to the server.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by DemonBrew Friday, September 4, 2009 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:27 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:51 AM

Before you reuse the current system disk I suggest you check in the system BIOS if the disk is recognised as 500GB disk. If not I would try and get a replacement disk from the vendor / manufacturer.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:24 AM