none
Windows Vista genuine issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have been using the pirated Vista for the last week or so (activated with the beta keys). Finally today it tells me that my copy isn't genuine and it gives me a link in the dialog box. However there was no where to buy keys. Is there anywhere you can buy keys now for Vista Home Premium or am I going to have to reinstall XP until Jan 30?

Thanks,

Julian

Monday, December 18, 2006 1:37 AM

Answers

•  julian24 wrote:

Hi there,

I have been using the pirated Vista for the last week or so (activated with the beta keys). Finally today it tells me that my copy isn't genuine and it gives me a link in the dialog box. However there was no where to buy keys. Is there anywhere you can buy keys now for Vista Home Premium or am I going to have to reinstall XP until Jan 30?

Thanks,

Julian

You must uninstall your copy of Vista. Consumer purchasing is not available until the 2007 release.

-phil

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:32 AM
  •  julian24 wrote:

Another question,

I was looking at buying the Vista Home Premium upgrade (academic) for AU$169. Can you do fresh installs with an upgrade version?

No. The Vista Product Activation will not allow this. Are you part of an academic organization? These academic versions are only available through specific educational institutional distribution centers.

I suggest buying a genuine copy of Windows Vista - until then, using a genuine copy of Windows XP.

• Upgrade installations of Windows operating systems are designed to be used solely as an upgrade from supported previous installations.

-phil

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:39 AM

All replies

• Another question,

I was looking at buying the Vista Home Premium upgrade (academic) for AU$169. Can you do fresh installs with an upgrade version?

Monday, December 18, 2006 2:45 AM
  • No.
    Monday, December 18, 2006 3:14 AM
  •  julian24 wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks,

Julian

You must uninstall your copy of Vista. Consumer purchasing is not available until the 2007 release.

-phil

•  julian24 wrote:

Another question,

No. The Vista Product Activation will not allow this. Are you part of an academic organization? These academic versions are only available through specific educational institutional distribution centers.

I suggest buying a genuine copy of Windows Vista - until then, using a genuine copy of Windows XP.

• Thanks for your answers guys.

I am a full-time student and eligible for academic pricing, yes.

Just so I understand, does this mean that I will not be able to boot from the CD and do a clean install with a Vista upgrade version? I remember that when I bought XP Home, it allowed me to do a clean install as long as I could provide a CD of an old version of Windows (or if Windows was already installed on the drive). Is this no longer with Vista?

Monday, December 18, 2006 6:45 AM
  • Upgrade installations of Windows operating systems are designed to be used solely as an upgrade from supported previous installations.

-phil

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:39 AM