Trying to back up computer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello there, i used to have my backup files on my external hard drive, but i deleted them to make room for other stuff.  Now i want to use the external drive to back up my files again, when i hit "back up files" in the one care menu, it says it cant becasue virus and spyware scanner is running, i turned off the scanner and it says the same thing.  as well when plug in my external drive the little balloon by the clock says "new backup device found" so i hit the balloon and try to convert it to a backup device but it always fails, any ideas?  id rather not by a new external hard drive as that still wont fix the scanner problem.  thanks.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 1:03 PM

Answers

• You should be able to use the old drive for backup. Let's try resetting the backup plan first:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

I'm bothered by the fact that clicking the backup link reports that it can't do so because a scan is in progress, unless you are doing this within the first 10 or 15 minutes of booting the PC in the morning or when a scheduled scan actually is running. That short period after initial startup is when the "quick scan" takes place if the PC was shut down or asleep overnight when the scheduled daily scan would normally occur.

If you are still unable to configure OneCare to use this drive for backups, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:01 PM

All replies

• Jason - have you set a time for the OneCare Tuneup to run? If so, plug your drive in, let the Tuneup run and it should automatically back up your files. If backup doesn't run then, you should make a report to Microsoft. Their Support Team are extremely helpful.

Friday, October 24, 2008 4:15 PM
  • My time is Wednsday at 3am but i think the problem is that it wants to use drive H but it seems like the only drive that comes up when i plug in my external hard drive is F.  I cant get the computer to read the drive the way OneCare wants to.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:54 PM
  • Jason:

I've just been looking at the WLOC Help files to try and suss this out. I have to admit that I've never come across anything like it before. My Vista laptop will read all my drives correctly and everything is reflected properly in OneCare. I believe, even if you manually assign a drive letter to any plug-in drive, WLOC should be able to read it. I hope Stephen Boots will look in here and at least give you the link to the Service Centre so you can address your problem to a proper technician. I've read a few of Steve's posts on here and he's that clever, he just might have a few ideas himself for you to try. Don't know if he can be personally contacted here. He's one of the Moderators. If you look up some of his posts you might come across one that'll at least give you the link to WLOC Backup Support. Hope you get this sorted, Jason. It would definitely drive me nuts if I had the problem.

I'll look back from time to time to see if you got any further. Wish you well.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Yeah that would be cool if he could help out, im not sure what to do next, other then buy another external hard drive and see if that somehow works.  Thanks for your help as well. 

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:36 AM
  • So i ended up deleting my backup files off of my external hard drive and now i want to back up my computer again, so i open up WLOC and i hit the "Start Backup" tab and then i hit the "Start new Backup" tab and it goes through and figures out what files have changed or are new since last backup and then it tries to back it up and it says "Current backup device not found, please connect device and hit ok".  It wants to read the drive in F: but the external drive is in H: and no matter what USB port i plug it into, it always comes up H: so i have no idea how to make the drive read as F: or completly start the Back up process again so it wants to use H: as the drive.  I really have no idea what to do.  Thanks again.

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:06 AM
  • One last thing, Jason: when you last used this drive as your backup device, I assume you manually assigned a drive letter to it? Am I right? This occured to me after I sat here mentally going through all the drive letters that are normally used by Windows (any OS version). However many drives you have, which include (as you know!) optical, or CD/DVD drives are named in sequence unless you force a new drive letter to them. Don't ask me how this happened but when I had my old laptop, I bought a spare USB drive and physically named it "G". It ran beautfully until that lappy died and I had to replace the machine. When I bought this new one, that drive came up as a "G" drive - the letter I'd personally given it. How did Vista 'know'? I had that drive running on an XP computer before! Someone might say "Well, it ain't rocket science!" then give all the reasons why. It is to me! Apart from forgetting your current drive letters and assigning a new one, which is what I'd try first, run a test again afterwards. If all falls down I seriously suggest a visit to WLOC Support Team. They got me out of a jam over something totally unrelated to your hitch which was bugging me. I just cannot understand why WLOC won't read your drive unless it's been between two computers and the one you want to backup doesn't 'know' what drive letter to assign to it, therefore, OneCare is getting confused. But whatever. You shouldn't be blocked from using it. That's incredibly unusual.

Monday, October 27, 2008 7:47 AM
  •  

I will try to find where WLOC support team may be located, i am not sure where to get ahold of them, this site took forever to find.  Thanks for your help, i will continue to try to work through this.  Thanks again.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:06 PM
  • Jason; Yes, I know - I'm still learning how to use this site, too. I found some amazing things here after reading your latest and cruising through. I'll see if what I've caught will paste:

Q: I have a USB/1394 disk, but OneCare says its not suitable for centralized backup, why?

A: You need to have 25 GB of free space on the disk.

My Suggestion: read the rest of this post from Sundar Aravamudhan (where the above is from)  found in link: Wndows Live OneCareBackup And Restore-->Announcements and FAQs (blue writing - top of page, click link if necessary.)

I read this, too:

"...with your new drive connected to your computer, turn off backup then open One Care and select "Configure Backup" and you should see your new drive as an available backup destination."

Also look up Stephen Boots and OneCareBear, amongst others who know OneCare inside out. Both are Moderators for this site and it looks as if they all work within Microsoft. (Lucky them!) Any questions they can't answer follow through with the link to the Support Team for the OneCare software. Cruise through yourself and look out for posts on here they've answered; any subject. If I find it in the meantime, I'll add an extra edit to this post. It would be good to see you solve it. With any luck, the bit I've put here after "I read this, too:" might be the solution. It sometimes pays to have a good look around here. There really is a vast amount of information. Back soon...

Okay, extra edit: found the Support link. Click it to go to their page. Good luck: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:00 PM
  • You should be able to use the old drive for backup. Let's try resetting the backup plan first:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

I'm bothered by the fact that clicking the backup link reports that it can't do so because a scan is in progress, unless you are doing this within the first 10 or 15 minutes of booting the PC in the morning or when a scheduled scan actually is running. That short period after initial startup is when the "quick scan" takes place if the PC was shut down or asleep overnight when the scheduled daily scan would normally occur.

If you are still unable to configure OneCare to use this drive for backups, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:01 PM
  •  ohnonotagain! wrote:

Also look up Stephen Boots and OneCareBear, amongst others who know OneCare inside out. Both are Moderators for this site and it looks as if they all work within Microsoft. (Lucky them!) 

Thanks for the kind words, but we are all crazy volunteer moderators and do not work for Microsoft. :-) There are some posts from Microsoft employees here, too. You'll see that shown under their user name in most cases.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:04 PM
  •  

Thanks for the help, and ideas.  I went through this step by step but when my computer started to try to convert my external hard drive to NTFS it always fails.  I dont know why it fails, i have almost 61GB free space on it, but its not doing it for me, i will keep trying but not sure how optimistic i am any more.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Why are you converting the drive to NTFS? The only reason to accept this suggestion by OneCare is if you are configuring Centralized Backup to that drive. If it is a locally attached drive and will only be used to backup the computer it is attached to, you can use FAT and do not need to convert the drive.

If you want to convert the drive, you can either do it manually - How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System - or copy any existing files off of the drive and then format it via Windows Explorer, choosing NTFS as the file system when you format the drive.

-steve

Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:40 PM
  •  

I would like to use it to back up my wifes computer as well, and i bought a new external drive, OneCare is looking for F:/  and thats the letter given to my new drive but it says its not connected, i think its looking for the old backup files or something, is there a way to just start over from the begining so this new drive is the back up for both computers?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Go to my post above from 10/29 where I describe how to reset the backup plan. Basically, you want to turn off backup completely and save the plan.

Then start again and create a new Centralized backup plan for all PCs and point to the external drive after you've formatted the drive using Windows Explorer to NTFS.

-steve

Thursday, November 6, 2008 7:00 PM