Tune Up will not Defrag RRS feed

• Question

• While running the tune-up, I notice the tune-up review shows that the degrag did not work, and that it states that the tune up was cancelled.  My One Care will not perform a degrag and will not backup my files.  The program icon is always yellow, and only provides me virus protection.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 5:55 PM

Answers

• OneCare defrags for a limited time and then stops during tune-up. It does this by design to save time and should not effect the status of OneCare. If the program icon is yellow it is because of the backup problem. You are trying to configure and use centralized backup when you should be configuring to backup to a USB drive unless your drive M:\ that you are trying to use is actually seen as an internal drive by the PC.

-steve

Monday, October 1, 2007 12:36 AM

All replies

• OneCare defrags for a limited time and then stops during tune-up. It does this by design to save time and should not effect the status of OneCare. If the program icon is yellow it is because of the backup problem. You are trying to configure and use centralized backup when you should be configuring to backup to a USB drive unless your drive M:\ that you are trying to use is actually seen as an internal drive by the PC.

-steve

Monday, October 1, 2007 12:36 AM
  • I have been using onecare (core2duo-VistaHomePrem) since day one. It has NEVER defraged my C drive for more than three minutes before closing down  and giving no useful information.  I have tried various free defrag programmes with some success. However as an old DOS man, I recently read that I could use the Command Line command "defrag C: /a/v"  as Administrator. This worked like a charm defraging 2x360g ( 4 partitions each) drirves in one hour. So the next morning, without any further activity, I reran OneCare Tuneup. Same result -"because of high levels of disk defragmentation...."

I have much more confidence in the Command Line result, than such obviously misleading and confusing results from this programme. It is pathetic that DOS, 3.1,3.11, 98 and XP can perform this task without any problem. To save further brain drain from those with little to spare - just bring back the module in XP!!!
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:22 AM