Gigabyte Churchill motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking at photos of the Gigabyte GA-2761GXDK and going through the WHS system requrements and have a few questions about the board.

1. The requirements specify that a RS232 header (but not an external port) be included for debugging, I couldn't find the header on any of the photos I looked at.
    2. The board has High Definition audio, why?

Here is the portion that discusses the serial port:

Core-014: Windows Home Server must have ability to add internal RS232 header
    Required: Internal RS-232 port or an internal RS-232 header (to enable debugging of the Windows kernel).
    Not allowed: External RS-232 port

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:22 AM

All replies

• If I had to guess, I'd say it's a requirement for systems that don't have KVM connections. How else are you going to debug your add-in in place? 

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:47 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a requirement for systems that don't have KVM connections. How else are you going to debug your add-in in place? 

Telnet can come to mind, Ken Smile

My best.

Update: I meant "Ethernet" telnet.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Ah, but if it's crashing hard, you may not have a network stack loaded for remote debugging.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:40 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Ah, but if it's crashing hard, you may not have a network stack loaded for remote debugging.

True, but still option if it the only one Smile

My best.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Umm, no, telnet isn't an option without a network stack. I've been in situations where the only way to find out why code was failing was to hook up a hardware debugger.

In response to the OP, though, I'll mention that I see KVM headers on the images I can find of that motherboard, so you may be able to find some way to hook up a local console. If the headers are active, that is.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:14 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Umm, no, telnet isn't an option without a network stack. I've been in situations where the only way to find out why code was failing was to hook up a hardware debugger.

In response to the OP, though, I'll mention that I see KVM headers on the images I can find of that motherboard, so you may be able to find some way to hook up a local console. If the headers are active, that is.

If they are following the recconedations the KVM headers are active.

Core-008: Windows Home Server systems must not include external video connectors
    Not allowed: External video connectors
    Recommended: Internal video connector for debugging purposes only. If implemented, a header is recommended.

Core-011: Windows Home Server systems must not include keyboard or mouse connectors
    Not allowed: External connector for keyboard and/or mouse
    Recommended: Internal keyboard and/or mouse connector or USB keyboard and/or mouse support (both of which are for debugging purposes only).

Dev-005: Windows Home Server must meet Graphical Processing Unit requirement
    Required: Graphical Processing Unit (GPU)

What is interesting is the fact that a GPU is required but the headers to connect a display are only recommended.

Being that this board is (or seems to be) designed for WHS I wouldn't be surprised if the final version actually has the headers. (Maybe the requrements changed since the board was designed.) Another interesting thing is that the board has silkscreening for a recovery button (top rear corner) but I couldn't actually find the button in the photos.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:30 PM