Why must I manually update "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" RRS feed

• Question

• Periodically, say every few to several months, my OneCare status goes from "good" to "fair" because  of "missing updates"

I have automatic updates turned on.

The missing update is always "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification"  

I follow the provided links and install the update from the website.  I must repeat this procedure for the 2 other PCs at home.

Why must I do this? 

I understand the purpose of the WGAN component.  I don't understand why is must be reinstalled periodically, and furthermore, I don't understand why I must manually intercede in that periodic reinstallation.

Is there some way to stop this reinstallation, or to automate it?

Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:17 AM

Answers

• The following excerpt from the Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application knowledgebase article explains the basic process:

"If you obtain the WGA Notifications for Windows XP application through Windows Update or through Microsoft Update, the application will be installed on your computer according to your Automatic Update settings. During installation, you will be able to review the license terms and you will have the option to decline the update. If you decline the update, the application will not be installed. Upon acceptance of the terms and installation of WGA Notifications, you will receive updates that are specific to the application automatically."

Unfortunately, due to the excessive complaints of a few (likley software pirates or just MS Bashers), the process requires that you approve the installation. The reason it needs to be installed is that along with many other optional programs OneCare requires the current version of WGA Notification be installed for updates to operate.

As for why it re-installs, this is likely due to changes in the program itself, either to improve its operation or counter some new hack that's being used to bypass it. If you know anyone using an illegal copy of Windows, kick them in the head, they are the entire reason this system is required at all. There is nothing good about software piracy, for anyone, so we all suffer.

OneCareBear

Saturday, October 4, 2008 1:51 AM

All replies

• The following excerpt from the Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application knowledgebase article explains the basic process:

"If you obtain the WGA Notifications for Windows XP application through Windows Update or through Microsoft Update, the application will be installed on your computer according to your Automatic Update settings. During installation, you will be able to review the license terms and you will have the option to decline the update. If you decline the update, the application will not be installed. Upon acceptance of the terms and installation of WGA Notifications, you will receive updates that are specific to the application automatically."

Unfortunately, due to the excessive complaints of a few (likley software pirates or just MS Bashers), the process requires that you approve the installation. The reason it needs to be installed is that along with many other optional programs OneCare requires the current version of WGA Notification be installed for updates to operate.

As for why it re-installs, this is likely due to changes in the program itself, either to improve its operation or counter some new hack that's being used to bypass it. If you know anyone using an illegal copy of Windows, kick them in the head, they are the entire reason this system is required at all. There is nothing good about software piracy, for anyone, so we all suffer.

OneCareBear

Saturday, October 4, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for the response.   I thought it might be something like that.

I'm sure it has all been said before, but if you allow pirates to opt out, then the net effect of the monitoring is to annoy the paying customers.

I'd be happy to opt in to all future updates of the component, were that possible.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:00 AM