remote backup? ie.. internet backup RRS feed

• Question

• I see that someone made a really col add-in for backing up your pictures to Flicker. That is outstanding cause memories can never be protected enough... Now someone needs to develop the same thing for backing up to an online server storage. I have a website host that has 250gigs of online storage, and I would love to be able to backup my files to my storage space automaically. I'm only talking about my files and such music or eve select which folders are backed up. Don't backup the PC backups just share folders on the server. And just to make sure it is all private it should be encrypted as well in a zipped file or each file individually locked somehow. I know this can be done, and it needs to be for that extra ounce of protection.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:08 PM

All replies

• That feature may come with WHS 2.0. However as most providers offer storage in different ways, you should expect this to be a pay service through microsoft.
    Friday, August 31, 2007 2:44 AM
  • I know that it's something of a klugey solution, but what about using something like rsync on your local machine to backup the contents of your remote server, then allow WHS to back that up?

Rsync is a Unix command, but has been ported over to the Windows side of the fence. You will need to install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com), but it just might do what you need until a better solution comes along.

More information on rsync on Windows can be found here (http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help/rsync/rsync_pc1.html) and here (http://rsync.samba.org/nt.html).

Friday, August 31, 2007 3:56 PM
  • I don't want to go through all that, nd it even states that it is buggy and data loss and coruption is possible. I think I'll skip on that... I don't see why a simple add-in could not add that function, no need to wait for WHS2.0 especially since we haven't even got WHS 1.0 yet.
    Friday, August 31, 2007 6:37 PM
  • There are various solutions. If you have the discipline to take a backup off-site, you can do what I do and use robocopy (or some other similar tool; there are a good number of them) to get important data onto an external drive and store it elsewhere. You could set up a scheduled task that does the copy for you in the background and then just swap drives once a week/month/whatever.

If you want it to happen automatically more automatically, and you don't want to deal with transporting the external drive, you can use something like iDrive. See here for how one tester configured it to be fully automatic.

Two things to be aware of:
    1. You're going to spend money and time to back up WHS. You're going to buy external disks and drive them around the countryside if you use my method, and you're going to pay for a service if you use iDrive.
    2. You're not going to be able to back everything up. If you have multiple terabytes of ripped DVDs (from disks you own, I'm sure) you should just forget about trying to back them up. The only way to do it is to spend big bucks for an enterprise class backup system and media (several times the cost to build a WHS from scratch with premium components), or just buy additional storage to match what's in your server today.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 12:49 PM