New Hard Drive appear as Separate Hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Adding a new hard drive can be done via 2 options, 1st as an extended drive of the system drive, and the OS will automatically allocate space on any drive upon any PC backup, 2nd as a system backup of the WHS's files.

My question is when I add another hard drive can I address or copy files directly to that drive without going through the WHS OS? I am adding the hard drive via USB port or esata interface. I think this way I add another level of security upon the WHS system failure I still have the hard drive data intact.

If this is possible please let me know.

Friday, April 2, 2010 2:13 AM

All replies

• If you add the drive to the server's storage pool then no, Windows Home Server won't expose the drive for you to address directly. If you want to protect your data against the failure of a drive in your server, turn on duplication for all your shares. You will be able to access your data in any event, as the files that are on the individual drives in the storage pool are accessible by connecting the drive(s) to another PC and copying them. See this FAQ for more information about that.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 2, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Thanks for reply, I understand the duplication feature, as my system drive has small storage space and the files I intend to store are large then it is not preferable to store files in both the system and backup drives. I prefer storing in just the backup drive.

Looks like I cannot do it.

Friday, April 2, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Thanks for reply, I understand the duplication feature, as my system drive has small storage space and the files I intend to store are large then it is not preferable to store files in both the system and backup drives. I prefer storing in just the backup drive.

Looks like I cannot do it.

You really haven't been very clear as to what your intentions are, but just so you know, no data is stored on the primary drive until all of the other drives in the storage pool are nearly full.  So if you don't want any data on the primary drive, just make sure you always have a lot of free space on your server.  Besides, there is no redundancy in storing data "in just the backup drive".  That drive fails and your data is gone.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 6:22 PM