Portfolio Manager not displaying correctly in Windows7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just migrated from XP to Windows 7 (64-bit).  I am using the '1105' version of Money UK, as recently provided by MS.  

In Portfolio Manager I have two very strange display problems:

1) The 'Group by:' box next to the 'Select view:' box on the blue bar above the column headings is missing.  See screenshot:

2)  Also in Portfolio Manager the lower status bar is blank, and I cannot change the display options.  Change Portfolio Settings --> Status Bar the pull-downs are blank.  See screenshot: 

I have not found any other problems.  I thought it might be because I was running IE9 but I reverted to IE8 - no change.  All other functionality (including Print Portfolio Manager) seems OK.

Any ideas anyone ?

Many thanks

Angus

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:43 AM

Answers

• I use the UK version of MS Money in Windows 10 v1909 and notice I have both of those issues in my user account. There are no issues if I run MS Money as an administrator. Is there a consistent fix for this to work in a normal user account?

Close Money. Move your *.mny file into your Documents folder. Open that file by right-clicking that file, and choosing Open.

After that, Money will remember where your file is.

Also, in  Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, make sure the paths are to places writable by the user, such as the Documents folder for the user. I like to make my scheduled backup go to a USB flash drive. Money 2005 cannot write to a USB with more than 2GB of free space.

That doesn't address the issue.

It was a weird account configuration issue. I fixed the problem by copying the Money folder in my admin appdata folder at  C:\Users\{accountname}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Money to my user account

• Edited by SC489 Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SC489 Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Sunday, July 19, 2020 1:50 PM
    Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:37 AM

All replies

• It will be interesting to see if the other UK Windows 7 users have the same problems. The 'Group by:' is very useful. The status bar is not so important.

Is it too late to choose Windows 7 32-bit? I suspect, but don't know, that that could be the cure.

Also, you might try running virtual PC if your version of Windows 7 supports that. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx XP mode runs slower,  but that might tolerable. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-xp-mode-windows-7-win7,10213.html

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I looked on my 64-bit Windows 7 test system running Money 2005 UK and everything appears fine. I am actually running IE9 on that system.

I get the Group by drop-down and I can switch the status bar on/off and the field selection fields can be used. 

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:56 PM
  • That information should be very useful to Angus and others.

Angus, try setting IE9 to its defaults if you have changed those settings. Another thing to try is to create a new Windows 9 user. That user will have default settings. Copy your Money file to that user's Documents folder. See if that user has a problem. If that user does not have a problem, then the problem would be some setting. You can delete the new user after you have finished your testing.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.

Cal - I agree - Group by is very useful, Status Bar not quite so, although I find the index (FTSE) and the 'last updated' time useful.  Too late for 32-bit - 64-bit ordered and installed !

As Ashley has it running OK I will hold off installing XP mode to wait and see if their are other suggestions.

Ashley - that you have no problems is weird!   What version on W7 are you running ?  I am on Home Premium 64.  

The rest of my system is very vanilla - I have not yet had a chance to install much stuff.  I am using Chrome as my default browser and Avast! for Antivirus.  These are both changes from my XP setup (Firefox and AVG) so its possible they may be causing the effect.

Any other suggestions ?

Angus

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Cal

Our posts crossed.  I will try a setting up a new user and report back.  I have uninstalled IE9 and am using default settings in IE8.  Perhaps I will try uninstalling that also - I dont use IE as my browser.

Angus

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:31 PM
  • OK this is what I have done:

1) Set up new user, opened Money file - same problem as before.

2) Still in the new user account, created new blank vanilla money file, skipped all the setup routines.  Went into Portfolio Manager and lo and behold screen displaying perfectly (although with no data - obviously) !

3) Went back to original user account, opened Money File, same problem as before

4) Created new money file as per 2)- PM now displaying correctly.

5) Restored original Money File, and .... PM is displaying correctly !!!!

I do not know why these steps should have cured the problem - but at least it now appears OK.

Cal

Thanks for the pointer to a new user - that got me on the right path.

Regards and Many Thanks

Angus

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:54 PM
  • I'm very glad it's working.

While you are thinking about it, you might want to review your backup policy to

1. keep more than one vintage of backup
    2. allow for a hard drive failure.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I am reasonably comfortable with my backup policy.

I create a backup every 2 or 3 days, with the date of the backup in the filename, eg money backup yyyymmdd. This backup is to a separate hard disk.  This means that I build up many backup files over time.

My entire data, including the money backup files and the current working file, is further backed up to a mirrored-RAID NAS (hidden in the attic to guard against theft).  I use MS Synctoy 2.1 which I find simple and intuitive to use.

The only thing extra I could do is create a set of backup DVD's (or portable hard drive) for off-site storage.

I forgot to mention in my original post that one of the things I had tried to fix my original problem was a restore from a recent (pre-W7) backup, but it had no effect.   

Angus

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:34 PM
  • The only thing extra I could do is create a set of backup DVD's (or portable hard drive) for off-site storage.

Angus

How about creating a password protected ZIP of the backup (batchfiles are cool) and dumping it on Dropbox or SugarSync?  That is off-site.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:09 AM
  • I use the UK version of MS Money in Windows 10 v1909 and notice I have both of those issues in my user account. There are no issues if I run MS Money as an administrator. Is there a consistent fix for this to work in a normal user account?

• Edited by SC489 Saturday, July 18, 2020 7:05 AM
    Saturday, July 18, 2020 6:42 AM

Close Money. Move your *.mny file into your Documents folder. Open that file by right-clicking that file, and choosing Open.

Also, in  Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, make sure the paths are to places writable by the user, such as the Documents folder for the user. I like to make my scheduled backup go to a USB flash drive. Money 2005 cannot write to a USB with more than 2GB of free space.

Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:08 PM
  • «Money 2005 cannot write to a USB with more than 2GB of free space»     If you don't have a flash drive that small, you can create a 2GB partition on a larger drive.  That should work as well.

Sunday, July 19, 2020 3:22 AM

That doesn't address the issue.

It was a weird account configuration issue. I fixed the problem by copying the Money folder in my admin appdata folder at  C:\Users\{accountname}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Money to my user account

• Edited by SC489 Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:38 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SC489 Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Sunday, July 19, 2020 1:50 PM
    Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:37 AM