Office Enterprise 2007 Validation warning on Deployment... RRS feed

• Question

• We've recently deployed Office Enterprise 2007 on campus and for some reason we are now receiving the Genuine Advantage warning on student machines whenever they try to load "templates".  It only seems to be happening on student machines and only when loading templates.  Staff machines are fine so I'm wondering if this might be a permissions issue instead of a "Genuine" issue?  I know for certain our volume license is fine (I've already checked with our Microsoft rep).  Has anyone else run into this issue?  Templates are part of many instructors' curriculum and thus are needed.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:08 PM

Answers

• Bkai,

This could very well be a permissions situation. Do staff members have administrative rights over the machines? Also this may be attributed to how the image was designed.

Stephen Holm, MS
    OGA, Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:25 PM
  • staff/faculty members have power user rights to their machines. students are obviously locked down pretty tight. there really are no images for the two different deployments... i've simply modified the config to exclude outlook 2007 from the student deployment. aside from that, both msi distributions are identical. i've never taken the time to actually look further into microsoft's genuine advantage solution to find out where it gets its information, what files it needs, permissions, etc. but to me it definitely sounds like a permissions issue if the same build works fine on staff machines. i also forgot to mention that i've even logged into a student machine as an administrator and it works fine with no errors.

so... any idea which folder/file/registry entry i should give students access to? Smile

EDIT:  I've figured it out... all I had to do was give modify rights to the templates folder (c:\program files\microsoft office\templates).  It still popped up the genuine advantage dialog but allows the users to simply continue.

Now my question is... this dialog allows the user check "not" to show it again.  I ran regmon and filemon on this to determine where it was setting this value but cannot seem to find it.  Any ideas where it is?  I'm assuming it's in the registry somewhere... like ShowGenuineAdvantage=0 or whatever.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:49 PM

All replies

• Bkai,

This could very well be a permissions situation. Do staff members have administrative rights over the machines? Also this may be attributed to how the image was designed.

Stephen Holm, MS
    OGA, Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:25 PM
  • staff/faculty members have power user rights to their machines. students are obviously locked down pretty tight. there really are no images for the two different deployments... i've simply modified the config to exclude outlook 2007 from the student deployment. aside from that, both msi distributions are identical. i've never taken the time to actually look further into microsoft's genuine advantage solution to find out where it gets its information, what files it needs, permissions, etc. but to me it definitely sounds like a permissions issue if the same build works fine on staff machines. i also forgot to mention that i've even logged into a student machine as an administrator and it works fine with no errors.

so... any idea which folder/file/registry entry i should give students access to? Smile

EDIT:  I've figured it out... all I had to do was give modify rights to the templates folder (c:\program files\microsoft office\templates).  It still popped up the genuine advantage dialog but allows the users to simply continue.

Now my question is... this dialog allows the user check "not" to show it again.  I ran regmon and filemon on this to determine where it was setting this value but cannot seem to find it.  Any ideas where it is?  I'm assuming it's in the registry somewhere... like ShowGenuineAdvantage=0 or whatever.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:49 PM