How do I prevent Visual Studio from overwriting my Sync Adapters RRS feed

• Question

• I am modifying the created sync adapter commands (InsertCommand, DeleteCommand, UpdateCommand, etc.) to provide additional filtering.  I would like to use the Visual Studio's 'Wizard' like interface to initially create the sync adapter commands.  How can I achieve this without having Visual Studio overwrite my modifications.  When I make modifications to the sync adapter commands my changes are overwritten when I use the 'Wizard' to add additional tables, etc.  Is this 'Wizard' frowned upon from using?  By 'Wizard' I am reffering to the configuration dialog that is used for the local database cache.
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 2:37 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:09 PM

Answers

• Can you copy the wizard generated code to a different file or class so that the VS wizard won't overwrite the one you have worked on?

Thanks
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:12 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

I would suggest NOT to use the Wizard. IMHO the Wizard is not a good solution, because of several problems/missing features.

E.g.:

1. The Wizard only creates syncs of a whole table. You cannot specify to sync only some rows of a table (=> much overhead for many projects)
    2. The Wizard creates DateTime columns for Change-Tracking. This is trash, if you want to implement Batching. You have to use timestamps instead.

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Can you copy the wizard generated code to a different file or class so that the VS wizard won't overwrite the one you have worked on?

Thanks
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for all the input.  Yes I can do this and this was my initially thought of solution.  I was really just wondering if there were any other alternatives to this, or something I was missing to prevent VS from overwriting the changes.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:51 PM