how to add a 4th computer..our current computer is kaput! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am aware that only up to 3 computers can be added on a onecare subscription, correct?
    well, we just bought a new computer and put onecare on it, and that was our 3rd computer.  However, this new computer is crashing on us so we are exchanging for a new one. Therefore, we are going to have to put onecare on this NEW computer, making it our 4th computer. But since it is a 3 pc maximum, I assume that we cannot put one care on this 4th computer.

How can I resolve this? Is there a way to 'disable' the current computer and then use the new computer as the 3rd?

thanks.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:57 PM

Answers

• Since you are exchanging computers, you can simply install and activate on the new PC. The license means you can't have more than 3 *active* computers on your subscription. So, if one dies or is retired, it is no longer active. You can remove the PCs that are no longer active by making one PC in your Circle into a Hub PC and then selecting the "remove" link for each PC that you are no longer using from the Circle management screen. That is optional, however.

-steve

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:22 PM

All replies

• Since you are exchanging computers, you can simply install and activate on the new PC. The license means you can't have more than 3 *active* computers on your subscription. So, if one dies or is retired, it is no longer active. You can remove the PCs that are no longer active by making one PC in your Circle into a Hub PC and then selecting the "remove" link for each PC that you are no longer using from the Circle management screen. That is optional, however.

-steve

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:22 PM
  • Well, this answers the immediate problem, but what about that 4th computer...?  There are many terms here to sift thru... I don't really want to create another ID and password.  I do understand that I need another "license", which would then give me a total of 6 computers.  How do I best do this?  I'd like to add my second license to my 1 and only account and circle...  I'm guessing it's not that easy.  Please tell me how to actually add that 4th computer.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:36 PM
  • You have two choices - the legal way requires that you purchase a second subscription and use a second LiveID for PC number 4. It will not be in your original Circle. You can add 2 more PCs to the second subscription and ahve two Circles.

The other choice is against the terms of the license agreement no matter how you accomplish it. Activate the 4th PC with the same LiveID as the other 3 and you will have a Circle of 4. If you purchase a retail copy of OneCare and shelve it, never using the key, you are "legal" - even though the solution may stop working if Microsoft chooses to enforce the 3 active PCs on a subscription rule.

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:59 PM
  • How do you move a PC from one circle to another?  What's the point of "linking" ID's if not to comibine into 1 circle?  According to the prior post, you are "legal" to add as many as you like, MS just won't support more than 3 being "active" at a time...
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:36 PM
  • A Circle is defined as all PCs activated with the same LiveID.

If a PC is activated with a different LiveID, the only way to get it activated with a different LiveID is to de-activate (from a hub, remove the PC from the Circle) or reinstall OneCare and activate with the other LiveID.

No, you are *not* "legal" except in the sense that you bought enough retail copies of OneCare to cover your installs. Meaning that you are not stealing, just not in absolute compliance with the license terms.

Nobody is coming after you if you exceed the 3 PCs. :-) However, Microsoft could choose to restrict your ability to activate another PC with the same LiveID. There is a limit, but it would rarely be reached unless you reinstalled to many different PCs without first using the Hub to remove existing PCs from the subscription.

Linking IDs is something that some of the Windows Live Services support. OneCare isn't one of them - being a paid service handled through the Billing side of Microsoft. We expected to have the ability to add licenses to a subscription for ages now, but now that OneCare's end of life has been announced, I do not expect to see this any longer.

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:30 PM
  • so... deactivate my 4th machine and next time I launch one care it will prompt me to subscribe... at that point enter my new live ID and pass and I'll get a new circle at that point.... even if my live id's are linked it won't have any affect in one care... sound good? what do I need to do when onecare dies?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Yes on all counts. The 4th PC will be subscribed under its own subscription LiveID. The linked IDs will have no effect.

I trust that you are referring to the end of life announcement for OneCare. Your subscriptions(s) will be fully supported through their full terms. If they expire before the end of 2009, you may still be able to renew, but the expectation is that the new security product will be available by the 2nd half of 2009 and renewals and new activations will be disallowed by the end of 2009. If you renew in 2009, your support will continue through the end of the subscription, well into 2010. Communication about what your options are will be made available in the future. At this point, I know nothing more than what the announcement states.

-steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:01 AM