no access with password on dual boot pc RRS feed

• Question

• In my network 1 pc contains a dual boot system XP and Vista Premium

From both systems I can access WHS but:

-When I use account1 with a password the access to the shared folders is denied ("access is denied” message) this is true for both XP and Vista

-With account2 without password there is no problem with access to the shared folders (both XP and Vista)

When I use account1 with password from another PC there is no problem with the access to the shared folders

On the dual boot pc I would like a password, how can I make access to WHS and make a backup (with account1)?

Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:18 PM

All replies

• Backups (manual or automatic nightly) should work without needing the user account passwords to match. Don't they?

For the password issues, is it possible that you have a different keyboard layout or localized versions of Windows installed on the dual boot system? WHS is only US English right now, so if (for example) you have a German version of Windows, you could have different key mappings.

Account2 works on the dual boot PC because you have it set to no password on both WHS and the local PC.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Ken, keyboard mapping (with local versions of Windows) is not the reason that I cannot take that backup.

I have 5 PC's on this network with all the same (local) azerty-keyboard.

On all I can access WHS and on 4 I can make a backup without problems.

One of these uses a password to access WHS (so accessing with a password is not the problem)

Only on the dual boot (the 5th pc) I can only make a backup if I do not use a password!!??

What can I try?

Sunday, June 3, 2007 3:58 PM
  •  jocofi wrote:

Ken, keyboard mapping (with local versions of Windows) is not the reason that I cannot take that backup.

I have 5 PC's on this network with all the same (local) azerty-keyboard.

On all I can access WHS and on 4 I can make a backup without problems.

One of these uses a password to access WHS (so accessing with a password is not the problem)

Only on the dual boot (the 5th pc) I can only make a backup if I do not use a password!!??

What can I try?

I also have 1 PC dual booting XP Pro and Vista and they both backup and I have access to the shares without being prompted for a password but both are password protected. A backup will not occur if the password on the server and the client are not the same whether it is blank or not, but the console should show a popup if it's not synced with the PC/Client

Take this one step at a time, lets assume your running TCP and Account 1 is the clients Administrator account. Account 2 is the primary user (yours!). Account 3,4 or more are secondary users or other family members. If you install the connector using Account 1, Account 2 will not be able to access the shares (without a valid use/Pass) unless you manually add Account 2 to the users through the WHS Console

You should install the connector software on the primary user's account #2 (You) not account 1, you dont have to but it's one less account that needs to be added to WHS. the connector will set up an account with the same user name and password as the currently logged on user and establish the backup service. If Account 2 (you) needs Remote access a strong password is required, it cannot be blank. If you install the connector using account 2 (you) then you should be able to locally access the shares without entering a password if logged on to Account 2.

If users 3 and 4 do not have their own PC with the connector installed (with the same user name and password) or if they have a different name and password on your PC, they will have to enter a password or you will have to manually add them as a user through the console for them to have acccess.

in any case if the connector was installed and shows up in the WHS console the backup should happen regardless of the user it was installed under. If one client does not backup start looking through the logs for a reason. they may very likley be seperate issues.

Rex Geissinger

Monday, June 4, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Hi Rex

I think that you are right that the dual boot pc is not the problem, but the logon procedure (the way how the connect software was installed)

Here is what I tried:

1th remove the user from WHS that I used for access from the dual boot pc to WHS (account1 with password); Account2 (no password) that I used to access the shared folders remains on WHS

2th remove the connect software

3th create a new account on the pc with a new name (not known to WHS) as administrator (with password) = account3

4th restart of the pc

5th installation of the connect software with account3

6th add account3 on WHS and giving him all the access rights (creating a shared folder)

The shared folder is created, but I cannot access it with account3!!!??? (So a backup is not possible)

I change again to account2 (previous account with no password) and then I can access the shared folder of account3 ???!!!

What now?

should I remove account2 on WHS? will that make a difference? and then start this procedure allover again?

or is there something else that I can try?

Filip

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:35 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    WHS is only US English right now, so if (for example) you have a German version of Windows, you could have different key mappings.

Ken, no problem with this, it works. XP Prof german and WHS with activated germany keyboard layout.

The only thing to pay attention is using Talq on a german XP... but there is a working workaround

Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:43 PM