Restoring Vail to factory settings or upgrading to Preview Refresh without loosing your storage? RRS feed

• Question

• Somehow I've started getting a long list of issues with Vail as of late, I've been running it near trouble free since it was first released to the public.

A number of services don't start on boot despite being set to automatic and to try starting again if they fail, Windows Server Providers A, B, Windows Server Settings Provider, Windows Server Health Service etc, I can enable those after boot manually though, but it's annoying also I get a long list of "FilterManager failed to attach to volume" errors in the console, all attached storage can't be searched or viewed in libraries anymore.

The cause I'm not sure of, only stupid mistake I might have made on the box is removing the setup in IIS, I was annoyed at it hogging port80, I got a LAMP server I use for my site and I tried to figure out how to change IIS to another port with little success, wrecked the settings which threw a bunch of errors, figured removing it would stop said errors, and since it didn't work anymore the lack shouldn't make things worse, I guess it did. Can't seem to find a way to restore those settings to the way they were.

I'd like to restore the system to factory defaults without loosing the attached storage, I don't care if I loose all settings and privileges etc, as long as the actual files are in tact. Alternatively I'd like to upgrade to the preview refresh, might work better though I'm doubting it would be any easier to do.

I guess I was a bit foolish to put essentially all my stored files on top of a beta OS, but WHS1 was starting to grate on my nerves, especially with a fully Windows 7 network, and the hardware to make my current Vail box with GbE etc was begging to be used.

Can you attach your drives to a WHS2 box and have it pick up on the stored files or are the files lost forever if you don't have the WHS2 install that they were attached to? Could I detach drives from WHS2, move files to them as regular drives while still connected to the same machine and keep the files that way? then re-mount the drives one by one (emptying them first, I know attaching them wipes them) after an OS upgrade/re-install?

Thanks in advance for any replies and your patience with this impetuous young fool.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• You SHOULD be able to detach storage and reload the version of VAIL that was used by the storage drives and recover the files. The drives CANNOT be read on any other OS. The new version of VAIL CANNOT read the original version drive format. Your best bet would be to copy your data off the server and start from scratch.

As far as IIS goes your BEST bet is just to restrict it to 1 IP address (yes it grabs them all by default that is just Microsoft mindset)  and use a different address for your LAMP server.

Don

Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:50 PM
  • You can install on a new drive, then connect all your old drives, and you'll wind up with them mounting as "non default server storage". Assuming the version of Vail you're attaching them to is the same as the version they're from, you'll be able to access the files in the old shares, because the old storage pool will mount to "non default server storage 1" on your server's C: drive.

"I guess I was a bit foolish to put essentially all my stored files on top of a beta OS …": Pretty much. There's a warning at the top of the forum regarding use of Vail in production. It's not supported by Microsoft, it's not recommended, and it's not safe. So please don't do it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Think my plan of detaching the drives one by one and moving the content to the detached drives, stored as normal NTFS and not using the drive extender would work? Then back again after re-install?

I know it's not supported, never thought it was, nor do I use it in production, I use it at home for a NAS like solution for my own media, mostly DSLR pictures etc, still not things I'd like to loose.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Think my plan of detaching the drives one by one and moving the content to the detached drives, stored as normal NTFS and not using the drive extender would work? 
    No.  Vail storage doesn't work like v1 storage.

Then back again after re-install?

I know it's not supported, never thought it was, nor do I use it in production, I use it at home for a NAS like solution for my own media, mostly DSLR pictures etc, still not things I'd like to loose.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 11:47 PM
  • I'm not using WHS1, I'm only using Vail, and I'm not talking about detaching storage from the pool physically, I'm talking about removing them from the pool, while they're still attached, thus being emptied of content which is spread out amongst the other drives, then you have an empty drive, which you can move files to from the storage pool after formatting it as NTFS and not making it part of the storage pool, it's just a drive with a normal drive letter, one by one you move content from the pool to an empty drive until all you have left are the drives that were in the pool now standing free of the drive extender but not merged at all, but with all the files the pool had, then a re-install of Vail, and then adding the content and drives back again into the pool (adding an empty drive, putting content into the empty drive, repeat).
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:15 AM
  • It will take some time, but yes that will work and is the safest method of handling this situation.

Don

Don Bushway
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:14 AM